Pushups for Cancer Awareness
Pushups for Cancer Awareness has a clear goal: to raise the awareness level of testicular cancer (TC) and encourage self-examinations in the hopes of improving the rates of early detection.
The PCA campaign will span the month of October and will have participants raise funds based on the number of pushups they complete over those 31-days.
At first blush, testicular cancer and pushups may appear to have little in common, but Pushups for Cancer Awareness recognize the connection. For example, a few early participants are committed to doing 250 pushups each day for the entire month of October (for a total of 7,750). This figure has particular relevance as over the course of a man’s life he has a 1 in 250 chance of being diagnosed with TC.
However, there is a vital silver lining surrounding testicular cancer which must be emphasized: with early detection the overall 5-year survival rate is 95%!
Thus, the campaign will only be as successful in raising the awareness level of TC, as you are in promoting the message: “Be Man and Self-Exam.”
Should you wish to sponsor the campaign, we humbly ask you make a donation on our Crowdrise page. All funds will be donated to the Sean Kimerling Testicular Cancer Foundation (SKTCF) as we share the mission to raise the awareness level, while encouraging self-examinations and early detection of TC.
The campaign is open to individual and group participants alike.
Some suggested pushup targets for the 31-days of October:
* 10,000 (333/day): for all the Outliers
* 8,500 (275/day): number of men diagnosed with TC last year in the US.
* 7,750 (250/day): odds a man is diagnosed with TC in his lifetime (250 to 1)
* 5,000 (161/day): half an Outlier
* 3,100 (100/day): Century club
* 1975 (65/day): Your birth year
* 1,550 (50/day): Half century club
* 775 (25/day): Quarter century club
* 310 (10/day)
* 31 (1/day)
Be ambitious in your pushup target and sponsorship goal, but most importantly, spread the word.
Thank you in advance for your support, encouragement and generosity.
-Pushups for Cancer Awareness
Remember, Be Man and Self-Exam: http://www.carpetestes.org/
DID YOU KNOW:
* Over his lifetime, a man’s risk of testicular cancer is roughly 1 in 250 (0.4%)?
* Testicular Cancer (TC) is the most common cancer in males aged 20–39 years?
* TC accounts for only 1 percent of all cancers in men, yet is the number one cancer killer among men in their 20′s and 30′s?
* Despite being thought of as a “young man’s” cancer, the disease is diagnosed in older age groups at an equivalent rate?
* Testicular cancer has one of the highest cure rates of all cancers (a 95% overall 5-year survival rate), if detected early?