Queens Action Council
Queens Action Council (QuAC):
Amplifying the voices of Western Queens to raise awareness, and collectively build a more just and sustainable food landscape from the ground up.
---> Urban Agriculture
---> Youth Engagement
---> Arts & Culture
2017 Programming Goals
- Friends of Rainey's Park is established with the Parks Foundation. Funding for park beautification projects and a community festival on Juneteenth (June 19) will be secured through the Foundation and fundraising.
- A community-based news outlet will provide news and knowledge surrounding food justice issues in Northwest Queens. A free newsletter service or subject relevant partnership with a pre-existing publication will streamline news
- Fresh Food Box program will operate out of an underserved community hub in Northwest Queens. The program runs as a weekly CSA model that provides $25 worth of local produce for $12 and accepts EBT/SNAP. If selected, QuAC will operate and subsidize some of the cost for low income participants. There will be fundraising to serve as a stipend for youth that help operate the Fresh Food Box program during the summer.
- Youth Food Justice program will be established at a Community School in partnership with Zone126. In addition to urban gardening projects, local food potlucks, food justice documentary screenings, nutrition education, and a healthy food marketing project, students will go on field trips to local urban farms and the Queens County Farm Museum. Fundraising is needed for transportation to the farm and museum, as well as for purchasing food from a locally supported food merchant for Local Food Day.
- Healthy Halloween Initiative will offer cooking demos of healthy sweets and snacks in front of residential hubs and Healthy Neighborhood retail stores. Decorated tables and lighting will be set up at community safe havens where resources will be shared with parents and healthy snack will be given to youth. Fundraising is needed to purchase healthy snacks and goody-bags for youth that participate in the Healthy Halloween Initiative.
- A community holiday meal will be provided at a local community hub. Fundraising is needed for purchasing ingredients from a local farmers' market and food from a locally supported food merchant for the holiday meal.
CR Impact Points
Click the VOTE button to give Queens Action 100 CrowdRise Impact Points (CIPs). Vote for the Volunteers and Fundraisers that are answering the call to service, raising money for charity, and making an impact for their causes. Come back and Vote every months. CIPs can earn you the highly coveted, highly respected CrowdRise Royalty Status.
CR Impact Points
If you're seeing the grey VOTE button, you should feel great about yourself. It means you already voted for Queens Action this month. Come back next month and vote again if you still love Queens Action. Thanks to your vote, Queens Action earned 100 CrowdRise Impact Points (CIPs). CIPs can earn you the highly coveted, highly respected CrowdRise Royalty Status.
Total Impact Points
Queens Action Council's Fundraisers
I'm working on creating my first super compelling Fundraiser so please keep hitting refresh over and over until my first Fundraiser shows up. Or just wait for me to email you about it.