Join the FH Foundation for our first virtual Race For FH, which starts on September 1st to kickoff Cholesterol Awareness Month and culminates on September 24th, FH Awareness Day. Heroes like you from around the world will walk, run, bike, swim, and fundraise to help people with familial hypercholesterolemia.
What is Familial Hypercholesterolemia?
Familial Hypercholesterolemia (FH) is an inherited form of high cholesterol, which if left untreated, can lead to premature heart disease and death. FH affects approximately 1 in 250 people - 30 million people worldwide - of all ethnicities and ages, including children. In the U.S. alone, FH causes some 12,000 heart attacks per year, often in men and women under the age of 45.
With early diagnosis and appropriate treatment, people born with FH can dramatically reduce their risk and live longer, healthier lives.
Why your help is important
More than 90% of people with FH do not know they have it. That means entire families are at risk.
The FH Foundation improves the understanding, diagnosis, and treatment of FH. Please help us raise awareness and fund the FH Foundation's research, education, and advocacy efforts to win the Race for FH.
Spread the word! Raise awareness! Honor a loved one! Celebrate a milestone!
Every dollar you raise makes a difference
$25 can help someone with FH connect with a community of their peers for support.
$100 can help a person with FH get the resources they need to learn about and advocate for available treatment options.
$250 can help train an FH Advocate to raise awareness of FH in their community.
$500 can help provide educational programs for healthcare providers to improve diagnosis rates.
$1,000 can help fund FH research through the CASCADE FH™ Registry that sheds light on why FH is different and what can be done.
What is a virtual race?
A virtual race takes place wherever YOU are. Participate wherever and whenever it works for you. You can go at your own pace – on your own, or form a virtual team. But however you participate, please sign up to raise funds. It’s easy and we'll do our best to make it fun. You can even earn great prizes for fundraising.
Register now to start your Race for FH.
1. Click on the “Register” button above.
2. Select the virtual event you wish to participate in. Remember this is a virtual event, so you can race whenever and wherever you choose.
3. Select “JOIN A TEAM,” “CREATE A TEAM,” or “FUNDRAISE AS AN INDIVIDUAL.”
4. Create an account.
5. Share your t-shirt size. When you raise $100, we’ll send you an official “Race for FH” tee. Shirts run small, so order one size up.
6. Set up your page using the Edit button on your Campaign Dashboard. Important: Be sure to include your name in the title. Add a photo or video, set a fundraising goal ($500 is a good place to start), and add your own personal story. You can find samples in the Fundraising Tips and Toolkit tab, along with sample emails, logos and more.
7. Use “Advanced Settings” to send custom thank you letters, track your miles, and more.