BENEFITING: American Red Cross
EVENT DATE: Jul 22, 2015
I’m cycling across Iowa in this year’s 500-mile RAGBRAI ride (July 19 – 25) and am dedicating each day in support of an important charitable organization. I’ll use the ride as an opportunity to raise funds and help create awareness for these organizations and the causes they support.
The American Red Cross is among the organizations I’ll be supporting during RAGBRAI. Day 4 (July 22nd, Eldora to Cedar Falls) will be in support of the Red Cross. The American Red Cross exists to provide compassionate care to those in need. Their network of generous donors, volunteers and employees share a mission of preventing and relieving suffering, here at home and around the world, through five key service areas:
- Disaster Relief: The Red Cross responds to approximately 70,000 disasters in the United States every year, ranging from home fires that affect a single family to hurricanes that affect tens of thousands, to earthquakes that impact millions.
- Supporting America's Military Families: The Red Cross helps military members, veterans and their families prepare for, cope with, and respond to the challenges of military service.
- Lifesaving Blood: American Red Cross the largest single supplier of blood and blood products in the U.S. Each year, nearly 4 million people donate blood through the Red Cross, helping to provide more than 40% of America’s blood supply.
- Health and Safety Services:The Red Cross is the nation’s leading provider of health and safety courses, such as CPR, First Aid and Lifeguard training.
- International Services:The American Red Cross is part of the world’s largest humanitarian network with 13 million volunteers in 187 countries. Working together, they help respond to disasters, build safer communities, and teach the rules of war.
Day 4 is also dedicated in honor of the communities of Parkersburg and New Hartford, which were devastated by a massive tornado in 2008. Seven people died in Parkersburg and two in New Hartford from injuries sustained when a EF5 tornado struck the cities on May 25, 2008. These towns are on RAGBRAI route this day.
If you'd like to join me in supporting the American Red Cross, please donate here! Thanks!