Real Life. My Music. is a non-profit organization created to provide Detroit's inner city youth with a musical & artistic outlet from everyday stress. Detroit Public Schools have cut the music & art programs from their everyday curriculum on top of closing schools down. We believe that teaching music and art to students instills valuable characteristics while also keeping them off of the streets.
- Develop positive self-esteem in youth while providing them with tools to make good decisions in an urban environment
- Instill leadership values into inner city youth while encouraging them to rebuild the city
- Give inner city youth a reason to smile again
DPS's has a graduation rate of only 58% and we believe that the programs by “Real Life. My Music.” could raise this number by offering guidance to local youth through a medium that they are very familiar with… music.
Real Life. My Music. began the first after school program in the fall of 2011. We are eager to watch the program blossom. Some basic facts on our first after school program:
- Held at Detroit's Michigan Technical Academy
- Offers courses in music, arts, and dance
- Free of charge
- Instills transferrable skills from music & arts to everyday lives of the youth
- A safe haven from city violence
- Provides a sense of belonging to something positive
- An outlet for the frustrations of being a youth in an urban environment
This pilot program will be used to gauge the community's acceptance of the program as well as how the student receive the program.
- All of our funding comes from donations, fundraising and grants
- We are constantly holding fundraising events and welcome anyone to join our festivities
- All donations will contribute to the success of our students
- Real Life. My Music. is currently a tax exempt 501(c)3 organization
- Donations are completely tax deductable
We cannot do this on our own, as the saying goes "It takes a village to raise a child". You can help us reach our goal by making a donation to this worthy cause.
> We are in need of a dance teacher, if you know how to groove please let us know! We'd love to have you become apart of the team!
> We're also looking for local talent...musicians & artists are wanted for an upcoming fundraising event. Please email us if you want to hear more!
*If you are looking for more info or you'd like to be apart of the RLMM family, send us an email at either email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org !!