May 31, 2017
Red wolves live in the wild only on the Albemarle Peninsula in northeastern North Carolina, an area that is already seeing the consequences of sea-level rise and the effects of more frequent and severe storm surges. Some parts of this coastal lowland, including the red wolf restoration region, will be inundated in 50 to 100 years. This is one of several reasons the Red Wolf Coalition supports additional reintroduction sites within the red wolf's historical range, an area that includes the entire southeastern United States as far west as Texas.
These beautiful animals were once extinct in the wild, and the restored population numbers fewer than 45 individuals. We need everyone who loves wildlife and wild places to join us in the battle to save "America's wolf!"
DO YOU KNOW?
1. The RED WOLF is found only in America! Red wolves once ranged throughout most of the region east of the Mississippi River.
2. The RED WOLF is the only carnivore ever to have been declared extinct in the wild, bred in captivity, and successfully reintroduced (1987) to a portion of its former range in northeastern North Carolina.
3. RED WOLVES were increasing in the wild until 2011 - 2013 when significant numbers were killed by gunshot, causing population numbers to plummet.
4. RED WOLVES need public support and a rededication by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to recover this critically endangered species as mandated by the Endangered Species Act.
5. The RED WOLF COALITON is the ONLY citizen non-profit working exclusively to ensure the long-term survival of endangered RED WOLVES.
6. EVERY DONATION MATTERS! If you love a challenge, consider joining the Fundraising Team. Just click on the red icon that says "FUNDRAISE FOR THIS CAMPAIGN." Then set up your page, add a photo, and you're all set. Contact all your friends, relatives and the people who owe you favors! Your tally will be added automatically to the main fundaising page.
7. Be sure to stay up-to-date by visiting our Facebook page: