Refugee Crisis Relief: Lesbos-Greece
Team Member: Kate Stevenson
Thousands of refugees are arriving at the Greek island of Lesbos (also called Lesvos) every day. Many are fleeing war and devastation in Syria and Afghanistan as well as Somalia and Iraq on their way to seeking safety and asylum in mainland Europe. Many have not made the treacherous journey, yet the flow does not stop.
Several local teams of volunteers are currently at work across the island. We will be teaming up with Lesvos Volunteers (http://lesvosvolunteers.com).
Reasons to donate money:
1. Your donation allows the volunteers that are on the ground to assess changing needs and to purchase what is needed when it is needed.
2. Buying in bulk from local suppliers and mainland Greece allows the volunteers to get a better price on goods while supporting the local economy.
3. It is important for the refugees to consume bread, meats, fruits and vegetables, which must be bought on the ground.
4. Local organizations have asked for volunteers to rent cars which is critical to these efforts.
5. Our volunteers are funding their own flights and boarding to maximize benefit of our presence and any donated funds.
6. Our team will publicize the full account of all donations and transcations made with the money donated so that you know exactly where your money is going.
Any funds raised will go toward the purchase of these or other items as determined by our volunteers. Leftover funds will be donated to other organizations working toward the same goal on the island.
Some items and their purposes include:
- Survival blankets, ponchos, tents, sleeping bags, umbrellas and rain tarps to protect both refugees and volunteers alike from the rainy weather in Lesbos and, furthermore, to protect from illness that may further impair them on their future journey
- Shoes, rain boots, and socks for men, women, and children (waterproof and quickdry)
- Clothing of all kind (underwear, jumpers/sweaters, trousers, coats); especially waterproof and quickdry.
- Baby food & formula, carriers, and diapers.
-Shampoo, shower gel, razors, toothpaste, and tooth brushes.
- Feminine products
- Mattresses, pillows, sheets, pillow cases, and bath towels for sleeping and washing.
- Batteries, flashlights, and headlamps for both volunteers to work through the night and to be given to refugees for their journey.
Who We Are:
We are volunteers from around the world, bound together by our calling to do anything in our power to help these refugees escape the horrors of their home countries. We are dedicating our time and effort to ensuring a safe journey onward though Europe for all refugees and alleviating the pressure placed on the Greek island of Lesbos. Some of us are on the ground in Lesbos while some of us are working from home, wherever that might be.
Interested In Volunteering?
If you are interested in traveling to Lesbos and helping our team on the ground, we can use all the hands we can get!
We currently have two phases of volunteers set until the end of the year (December 4-11 and 25-31) and will be planning for future phases as we receive more resources.
We are especially interested in those with Arabic or Farsi language skills but it is by no means a requirement.
Please contact any member of the organizing team for more information.