BENEFITING: CHARLES SETTLEMENT HOUSE
EVENT DATE: Oct 03, 2015
Sofia Melgarejo wrote -
The RHR seeks to foster the growth, self-determination and self-reliance of the refugee community by making them agents of their own advancement. It seeks to become a comprehensive community center, providing a full range of services to refugees by welcoming people from all cultures and ethnicities.
Refugees Helping Refugees operates a range of programs with an all-volunteer staff five days a week, Monday-Friday:
- ESOL classes: Focused on everyday living, adaptation to a new culture and functional skills. Preparation for the U.S. Citizenship exam is also stressed.
- Case management: Translators, medical counseling, navigation service, home and hospital visits, and transportation.
- WEP training: Training in data processing, food service, sewing, and healthcare topics in a culturally-friendly environment. Emphasis is placed on job understanding and job readiness skills.
- Refugee Summer Program: Emphasis on refugee culture and language, with afternoon sports, including soccer, basketball and tennis. Free lunch and snacks provided. Paid youth interns assist.
- Senior services: Activities include sewing, cooking and exercise.
- Youth sports program: Young adult soccer team plays year-round against other local college teams.
- After-school program: We are currently testing a pilot program for Rochester schools, 3:30-5:30PM.