BENEFITING: Safe+Sound Somerset
ORGANIZER: Safe+Sound Somerset
EVENT: Purple Purse Challenge
EVENT DATE: Oct 01, 2015
Resource Center of Somerset wrote -
The Purple Purse Challenge provides an opportunity for people in the community to raise their voice and join together in the fight against domestic violence in Somerset County. When we raise awareness, we help change lives and break the cycle of violence, creating a better community.
There are several easy ways to join the challenge and make a tremendous impact.
- Make a donation today.
- Form a team in your office or with a group of friends right here on our page, then send emails to family and friends asking them to support this cause that you're passionate about.
- Organize a fundraiser at work such as a "Wear Jeans to Work Day" where colleagues pay $5 to wear jeans on a designated day or a bake sale. The funds are then donated on line on your team page or the Resource Center of Somerset Purple Purse page.
This year's goal is to raise $25,000. What will this do for the oganization?
- If a woman is in need of immediate protection for her and her children the safe house is available to them.
- Should she need more time to build a path to a bright future she could live in one of the transitional apartments for up to 18 months.
- The hotline is available 24/7 to answer questions from victims, family members and friends.
- Individual and group counseling are avialable for women, men and children at our outreach center.
- Legal Advocates are available to walk a person through the restraining order process and provide guidance.
- Domestic Violence Response Team members work with local police departments. Officers refer victims who need to speak to someone to learn what services and programs are available to them.
- Because one in 10 high school students has been purposefully hit, slapped or physically hurt by a boyfriend or girlfriend there is a need to provide a support system for high school students in Somerset County. A texting capability to our hotline is planned for the near future. This will provide our teens a means of communicating in a manner they are comfortable, thus increasing the likelihood they will reach out for help.
As a community that cares, we can embrace this callenge and use our voices to help those who have lost their voices due to the abuse they have endured, changing our community one life at a time. Please be as generous as possible.
For more infomation about the Resource Center of Somerset, please visit the web site http://www.resourcecenterofsomerset.org