Phase 1 Lodge Remodel Started
June 08, 2016
BENEFITING: Sacramento Valley Conservancy
Restore Camp Pollock Lodge! Camp Pollock is a piece of Sacramento history, a hidden gem, located on the American River just five minutes from the downtown area on the North side of the river. Open for youth camping and events, Camp Pollock allows youth to experience the American River, many for the first time. The Camp Pollock property contains 11 acres fronting on the American River, including a 4,000 square foot lodge with a two-story stone fireplace built in 1924 by the Lion’s Club. When children arrive at Camp Pollock, the only safe place to enjoy the River on the economically depressed North Sacramento side, wild turkeys, deer, hawks, herons, egrets, beavers and salmon greet them.
But the lodge is in need of necessary upgrades, that if not, met will result in the closure to all those who it is intended to benefit.
Without the necessary upgrades, compliance with lease terms cannot be met and the lodge may need to be closed to all those it is intended to benefit. Lack of a renovated lodge will result in a degraded recreational and educational experience for youth and families, rather than the maximization of its recreation and community value on the downtown and North Sacramento section of the American River Parkway.
The State Lands Commission purchased the property in January 2013 from the Golden Empire Council, Boy Scouts of America, and leased the property to Sacramento Valley Conservancy for 25 years. The Conservancy is committed to using the property for youth camping and day programs, public river access and public and private events. However, the lodge and grounds require upgrades to serve families, youth and the community for generations to come, including Americans With Disabilities Act improvements, kitchen renovation, air conditioning and structural upgrades and repairs. Sacramento Valley Conservancy (the Conservancy or SVC) needs $600,000 to complete the design, permitting and construction of the lodge and grounds renovation. The Conservancy has lead funds of $130,000, including funds from the Sacramento Area Flood Control Agency, Wells Fargo, Teichert Construction and Sierra Health Foundation, but is seeking additional lead funders and significant pledges of in-kind assistance for the campaign by the end of 2013.
With a clear vision, the Conservancy has directed a design team to prepare renderings of a renovated lodge, and aims to complete design and permitting and start construction in 2014.
In the North Sacramento Area, 56% of household incomes are below $30,000 per year, with another 37% below $75,000 per year; over 35% of households have children under 18 and half of those are single-parent families; over 30% of the total population is under 19; 65% of households rent and 70% of rents are below $600 per month, with another 29% being under $1,000 per month. The Conservancy hopes to fulfill this population’s need for an unprecedented urban open space sanctuary, as well as fulfill the needs of the regional citizenry for urban open space.