BENEFITING: Retreat, Inc.
ORGANIZER: Retreat, Inc.
EVENT: Purple Purse Challenge
EVENT DATE: Oct 01, 2015
For the past four years I have had the honor and privilege of working at The Retreat as a Program Director. Through this role I help to write and manage the grants that fund the services (counseling, legal advocacy, 24 hour hotline and emergency shelter) that are provided to victims of domestic violence and their children, as well our school and community-based prevention education programs.
Even though the issue of domestic violence has gained some national attention, many people are unable to fathom that it is happening locally, within their own families, circles of friends, workplaces and communities----that every 9 seconds a woman is battered or abused.
While the work that I do helps to bring in funds to support the (free) services provided by The Retreat, our needs are greater than the funds that are available to us. We need additional financial support.
As October is National Domestic Violence Month, I am asking for you to help support The Retreat, the work I do, and the individuals and families we serve by making a contribution. Any amount that you can give will truly make a difference.
Thank you in advance for your support!
About The Retreat
Our core services include a residential shelter, a 24/7 domestic violence crisis hotline, individual and group counseling, legal advocacy, and a violence prevention education program taught in local area schools. All services are provided free of charge.
In addition to these core services, The Retreat offers programs including:
- A self-sufficiency program for clients that includes finance management, personal development and job placement
- An initiative that works with fathers to prevent family violence and help them get back on their feet
- Classes to promote healthy relationships among teenagers
- Rental assistance to families escaping domestic violence
- Collaborative efforts to serve domestic violence victims with mental illness
- An anti-violence reeducation program for offenders
- Programs that address campus security, sexual harassment and transportation issues
- A partnership to prevent sexual violence against youth
Funds raised from the Purple Purse Challenge will benefit these corse services so that we may continue to provide them free of charge to all of our clients.