Lewa Wildlife Conservancy USA wrote -
The Lewa Wildlife Conservancy's hard-working old tractor has finally met its end. The loss of this critical piece of core equipment is dangerous for Lewa’s operations and needs to be replaced as quickly as possible.
The simple truth is this: The lack of a tractor can mean the loss of animal lives on Lewa
ROADS & SECURITY:
- A tractor is needed to pull drums of water to the security outposts. Clean water is crucial for the security teams’ health and wellbeing.
- A tractor is critical to keeping the roads in good condition. Without clear roads security cannot respond to threats on the conservancy.
- It's not just security that's affected, the Education Programme vehicle can't bring teachers back and forth from schools and medical supplies can't reach the clinics.
- The dry conditions in northern Kenya make Lewa particularly prone to wildfires. A serious fire on Lewa could decimate the wildlife populations and halt Lewa’s operations.
- When fires do start, a tractor is needed to pull the water bowser to put out the flames.
- A new tractor will save funds for Lewa by reducing the costs of constant repairs that were needed by the old machine. These funds can go towards other expenses like ranger salaries, equipment and community outreach.
The purchase of a new tractor will help protect Lewa’s wildlife. Thank you for your support.