BENEFITING: RHODE ISLAND LESBIAN AND GAY PRIDE COMMITTEE INC
EVENT DATE: Jun 18, 2016
Pride is all of us! We all have something to celebrate. We all the reason why Rhode Island Pride is celebrating their 40th anniversary in 2016!
It is essential that community members take the next step to ensure that the heart of our local community continues to beat strongly. Please join us in saying #IAmRIPride, and make your $1 donation for every year RI Pride has existed!
Since 1976, the LGBTQ community has gathered in downtown Providence to celebrate what makes them proud. For 40 years, that crowd has grown. What started as a protest march has evolved into a 16-hour celebration: a festival with live music, vendors, and families having fun together; a nighttime illuminated parade showcasing the artistic talent of our community through a myriad of floats, performing groups, and marchers; and late-night block parties produced by our local small businesses that also foster one of the most creative drag communities in the country.
Overall attendance at PrideFest has reached upwards of 35,000 – a number that requires significant planning and expense to ensure that this annual celebration is not overshadowed by any number of possible complications. In 2015, the festival site expanded which added a significant strain on limited resources to cover a larger area. The addition of safety barricades has become necessary for many Pride Parade routes nationwide, as crowds have grown. Over the last few years, we have slowly added them at PrideFest as our celebratory crowd have grown.
All of this comes at a cost, and Rhode Island Pride was not able to cover those costs in 2015 due to low donations, an increase in attendance, and higher-than-expected public safety overtime expenses. While in the last two years we have successfully sustained and even doubled the amount of sponsorships coming from corporate businesses, and most generously from some of our local small businesses, we must rely on donations from our community to ensure that the growth of RI PrideFest is sustainable in the coming years. In order to bring our 2015 budget out of the red and produce a 40th Anniversary PrideFest that is at least equal to last year, we must raise at least $40,000!
Please help us find 1,000 people among our 35,000 attendees who can give just $40 each. That’s only $1 to mark every year of progress our community has enjoyed with Rhode Island Pride.
Breakdown of Expenses for PrideFest:
- PrideFest itself costs about $120,000 (this is up from $80,000 just four years ago) Here's how we spend it:
- Entertainment: $35,000 (performers 15k, stage/sound/light 20k)
- Public Safety: $25,000 (barricades 15k, police and fire 10k)
- Infrastructure: $35,000 (tents 12k, road closures/permits 8k, tables, chairs, toilets, trash, etc. 15k)
- Outreach & Miscellaneous: $25,000 (State House lighting, Banner Trail, signage, advertising, etc.)
- Costs on average per year to sustain Rhode Island Pride as an organization $40,000 (our office space, meeting expenses, website – bringing our total annual budget to $160,000+.
Breakdown of Income for RI Pride:
Including all of 2015's outstanding debt we're looking at $185,000 in expenses in 2016. Our projected gross income for this year includes:
- Parade and vendor registrations $30,000
- Beer, Wine & Spirits Garden: $25,000
- Sponsorships: $60,000
- Donations: $5,000
- Grants: $10,000
- Fundraising events: $15,000 -$40 for 40 Years: $40,000
We cannot create a Rhode Island PrideFest as we know it without more financial support from community members like YOU. Please join with us and make a $40 gift TODAY!