Organized by: Rice For Rich
#RiceForRich is a challenge-driven fundraiser to help raise support for Rich's kids in Ghana. Did you know that the average grocery bill for of four in the U.S. spends between $146-$289 per week on groceries? Even if you’re thrifty, that’s about $55 per person, per week.
In Ghana, that $55 can go a long way. Here are some examples: $30.00 can buy 2 weeks’ worth of cooking oil; $50.00 can buy one bag of rice and can last for 12 meals (23 people) OR one month supply of clean water; $100.00 can buy 300 yams which can last about 20 meals (23 people) OR one bag of rice and one month supply of clean water; $150 can buy 4 months’ worth of school fees for one child.
Rich , a US Army veteran, has willingly left his comforts, his possessions, and his well-deserved three meals a day, in order to serve children in Ghana. Many of the children he helps are fatherless, mentally ill, and disabled; rejected from society. These children also lack the many of the necessities that we take for granted. Rich has funded this mission himself, and spends about $1,000 out of his own pocket each month to help provide education, shoes, toiletries, clean water, and medical assistance for these children.
On average, Rich himself survives on only $0.80 per day. He and the children eat mainly white rice with canned tomato paste. For the majority of their lives, these children have only eaten one bowl of white rice per day. Many of us could not imagine eating only one meal a day, let alone no more than simply one bowl of rice per day. But Rich has made that sacrifice for these kids. Rich is someone I have been proud to call my friend of a long time and I want to help him as he helps these children and encourage and challenge you to help him too.
Here are the rules for the #RiceForRich Rice Bowl Challenge:
- For just ONE WEEK, commit to eating only one bowl of rice a day. You can choose to substitute just one meal for a bowl of rice, or all of your meals for the week
- Since most people take pictures of food anyway, at each rice meal, take and share a photo of your bowl of rice using #RiceForRich
- Once the week is completed, donate what you should have been able save on groceries to #RichForRich
Here are the guidelines for suggested donations:
- Eat only one bowl of rice once a day, with no other meals for one day – $10
- Eat one bowl of rice for one meal, each day for a week – $50
- Eat one bowl of rice for three meals a day, each day for a week – $100
- Eat one bowl of rice once a day, with no other meals for a week donate – $150
ALL PROCEEDS will benefit Rich’s kids in Ghana.