Richmond Christian Leadership Initiative
Organized by: Tasha Moore
The Richmond Christian Leadership Initiative is comprised of civic-minded Richmonders between the ages of 25-40 who are driven by their personal faith in Jesus Christ and who also exhibit potential for or are already in Leadership positions within their church, community, or profession. Every year, RCLI accepts applications for membership into the Initiative; this application process is competitive as RCLI only accepts 30 participants each year. Each participant is asked to attend an Open House where they meet Board Members, RCLI Ulumni, and the Director of RCLI. An application is then submitted that asks personal insight questions where each applicant reflects on their leadership roles within their community, church and profession as well as a reference letter written on the applicants behalf; the participants if chosen from this point, then move forward to the next steps that include interviews with a panel made up of Board Members and RCLI Alumni. On May 26, 2016 I was chosen for the 2016-2017 class and am excited about this blessed experience! The RCLI program/experience attracts me because I believe that the purpose and goals identified by this program will drive my continued efforts towards personal improvement, growth within my spiritual journey, and quest to find purpose within the role that I serve as a community activist. By community activist, I mean my role in dedicating my life towards making my community better through strengthening families, providing support and encouragement towards our youth, and being a part of resolute initiatives that will improve the dynamics of our community as a whole. Jeremiah 29:7 says, "Also seek the peace and prosperity of the Lord...Pray to Lord for it because if it prospers, you too will prosper". Through my acceptance into the 2016-2017 RCLI class, I believe that I will learn many tools within the 10 week engaging experiences that will allow me to move forward in my goals towards rallying for social change. I believe that rallying for social change, becoming part of larger social bodies, and embarking upon community activism is now only a part of a need to demand the creation of peace from sustained social injustices, disparities within our Cities, and to unite against politic reforms. I believe that if more people assembled together for the purpose of becoming change agents within smaller settings such as in local communities, worship centers, within the work place, and most importantly within the families, than it would minimize the necessity in having to do so when chaos and calamity is ensued because of the initial lack of these principles and practices. The leadership program consists of 10 monthly sessions, held once per month between September and June. The locations vary, providing exposure to the regions' diversity of pastoral leadership. Session examine from a Christian perspective, the many dynamics that shape our region. This includes learning from local experts and thought leaders who provide close exposure to life in Richmond Virginia. The 10 week session is finances through a $600 tuition that covers only 20% of the program costs including a week long retreat, transportation, meals, text books, and other program materials; the other 80% of the tuition has already been covered through donations from a variety of resources contributed to RCLI that helps to underwrite each participants experience. Throughout my current journey of moving forward with purchasing my own home, many monetary responsibilities are going towards this process. My participation in the upcoming RCLI group is just as monumental for me as purchasing my home and I don't want the monetary responsibility to overshadow my ability to participate. This is where you all come in! I would appreciate any support that you can contribute towards my participation in this blessed experience. I know that God won't allow this opportunity to pass me by, so I have faith that the tuition is already covered, however your donation to my participation in this experience is much appreciated.