We work hard to improve access, quality and relevance of education for youth in Central America by:
- Providing targeted training in schools and community centers.
- Improving educational infastructure and resources; and
- Connecting community leaders and youth to local, regional and international support networks.
We are a 501c3 public charity that was founded after two incredible sisters that were taken from this world too soon – Raechel & Jackie. They loved children, learning, creativity and adventure and they continue to be our inspiration as we expand, grow and achieve significant milestones. Learn more about RJF http://www.raecheljackiefoundation.org
We operate with a small budget but because of our low overhead, dedicated staff and strong partnerships we are able to achieve incredible results with the resources that we have.
Since 2013, we have been working in solidarity with rural communities in Nicaragua. With over half of the population under 25 years old, the country has a rich untapped resource (youth!) and is uniquely positioned for growth and opportunity over the next generation.
This year, among many other projects, we partnered with 31+ local community volunteers to support their dream of developing an education center. The center now provides its graduates with a certificate in computer literacy that is certified by a local university. This community-driven initiative had 80 graduates this year and has the potential to serve 80+ students each year.
Here are just a couple examples of how this center has impacted youth in the community this year:
- Meet Katia: A few years ago Katia was diagnosed with a tumor that impacted her eyes. After loosing sight in her right eye she was told she could no longer attend traditional school because of the strain that the long hours could put on her left eye. It had been 3 years since Katia had gone to school when she started at the education center. The center has allowed her to study with her peers at her own pace. Katia was smiling from ear to ear when she explained what the center has meant to her.
- Meet Venessa: When Venessa grows up she wants to be a teacher so that she can help educate the kids in her community. Venessa graduated from the training this year with one more tool under her belt to help her reach her goal. “Having the certificate in computer literacy," she says, "gives me more opportunities to keep studying and realize my dream of becoming a teacher.”
There are so many stories like Venessa and Katia each individually unique. We have seen first hand the incredible difference that this very tangible and achievable project has on youth in this region and we couldn’t be more excited to continue working with the community to take it to the second stage.
In 2016, in addition to supporting this community to provide the certificate training to another cohort of students, we will be working with them to train youth who have completed the program to be class mentors in future years and adding resources for literacy and ESL development.
This end-of year campaign is focused on supporting part of the second phase of development for this center. Our goal for the campaign is $5,000 which will support approx 40 students in 2016 to receive the 4 month credential program.
If 200 people join our effort by adding a $25 brick to our Giving Tower Campaign then we will reach our goal. Please consider giving today and being one of these 200 people that expands the positive impact that this center is having on youth in Nicaragua.
Non-profit Tax ID #: 46-3546942