June 27, 2017
For those of you who know me -- I suggest you take a seat before I tell you that I am running the New York City Marathon this November! Let's just say that the most I have ever run in my life is about 7 miles (and our President at the time was President Bush....I wont tell you which one though...).
I have decided to take on this great challenge for two reasons. First, I want to be a great role model for my kids in terms of being healthy and taking care of myself so I can be around for many years to come to hopefully take them to more Cubs World Series Games and see them grow. Secondly, I have been fortunate to have been involved with a fantastic organization called Robin Hood. I was first introduced to Robin Hood in 2000 and have seen first hand the tremendous work they do in helping those who have fallen on difficult times.
I am gunning to break Whitney Tilson's fundraising record for Team Robin Hood for the marathon so I need your help. Whether it is $5, 10, 25, 100, 500, 1,000 (OR MORE) - every dollar counts and I will match dollar for dollar until we break his record and raise the money to help those in need.
Every dollar counts as you can see from below.
- $50 covers the daily wage for one formerly homeless man to participate on a work crew assignment that prepares him for full-time employment.
- $75 feeds a family of three for a week.
- $100 provides one night of safe shelter for a family.
- $360 provides a single immigrant mother with a microloan to start her own business.
- $450 provides immigrant students with a college counselor to help prepare applications for schools, scholarships, and financial aid.
- $1000 provides regular asthma treatment to a child, so they can take fewer sick days from school.
I appreciate your support (as I know if you are still reading this you care about giving back (or are still in shock about me running a marathon that you can't turn away from the screen!). Best Jon Harris