BENEFITING: Robin Hood
ORGANIZER: Robin Hood
EVENT DATE: Nov 01, 2015
I’m very excited to announce that I’ve committed to run the 2015 TCS New York City Marathon this upcoming November. Far from a seasoned marathon runner, I’m simultaneously terrified and excited for the challenge of training and pushing myself to make it to the finish line on November 1.
Although I look forward to the personal challenge, I am even luckier to be training with and supporting the Robin Hood Foundation as a member of Race for Robin Hood. The Robin Hood Foundation is New York’s largest poverty-fighting organization and focuses directly on finding, funding and creating programs and schools that generate meaningful results for families in New York’s poorest neighborhoods. To date, Robin Hood has raised more than $1.95 billion in dollars, goods and services to provide hundreds of the most effective soup kitchens, homeless shelters, schools, job-training and other vital services that give New York’s neediest citizens the tools they need to build better lives.
To put it in perspective:
- $50 covers the daily wage for one formerly homeless man to participate on a work crew assignment that prepares him for full-time employment.
- $75 provides a day of high quality preschool for one child.
- $100 connects one low-income family to public benefits, social services, and employment counseling.
- $200 helps a woman secure a $1,500 micro-loan to help her launch or expand her own business.
- $750 provides a year of basic literacy training and G.E.D. test preparation for one student.
- $1000 pays for health care for one adolescent for one year.
My fellow team of runners has committed to training and raising money with the promise that 100% of every dollar is used directly in Robin Hood’s fight against poverty.