BENEFITING: Robin Hood
ORGANIZER: Robin Hood
EVENT DATE: Nov 01, 2015
I am thrilled to be running the NYC Marathon with Robin Hood on November 1st! Running the marathon last year was a defining moment of my first year in this great city I now call home. Having the opportunity to run this year for an organization that serves such a critical need in our city is a tremendous honor.
The Robin Hood Foundation is New York’s largest poverty-fighting organization and focuses directly on finding, funding and creating programs and schools that generate meaningful results for families in New York’s poorest neighborhoods. To date, Robin Hood has raised more than $1.95 billion in dollars, goods and services to provide hundreds of the most effective soup kitchens, homeless shelters, schools, job-training and other vital services that give New York’s neediest citizens the tools they need to build better lives.
To put it in perspective:
- $50 covers the daily wage for one formerly homeless man to participate on a work crew assignment that prepares him for full-time employment.
- $75 provides a day of high quality preschool for one child.
- $100 connects one low-income family to public benefits, social services, and employment counseling.
- $200 helps a woman secure a $1,500 micro-loan to help her launch or expand her own business.
- $750 provides a year of basic literacy training and G.E.D. test preparation for one student.
- $1000 pays for health care for one adolescent for one year.
THANK YOU for choosing to support me in this personal challenge, but more importantly for committing to playing a role in Robin Hood's work to fight poverty in New York City.