BENEFITING: Robin Hood
ORGANIZER: Robin Hood
EVENT DATE: Nov 01, 2015
It's happening. On my own free will, I have chosen to run my 2nd marathon, the NYC Marathon this November 1! While I have described my NYC Marathon experience last year as "the best and worst thing I have ever done," the pros definitely outweighed those last 6 miles of agony-- feeling the support of my adopted city with packed streets, nervous as heck wearing a trashbag to keep warm with my best friend in Staten Island pre-race, my parents owning the NYC subway system and catching me three times on the course, Williamsburg Collegiate/Uncommon friends cheering in droves, feeling the support from Robin Hood Foundation at mile 20 in the Bronx, and knowing my run is supporting an amazing organization, it was all worth it and I can't wait to do it again!
Robin Hood's mission is to fight poverty in New York City, especially through education, and they support Uncommon Schools, and my school, Williamsburg Collegiate! Definitely watch this video, to learn more about what a huge impact this organization has on the lives of New Yorkers who need it most. Thank you for donating to support my school, my crazy long long training runs, and those New Yorkers whose lives are improved through the 200+ non-profits Robin Hood supports.
Thank you so very much for your support- it means the world to me!
To put it in perspective of how even a small donation can go a long way:
- $50 covers the daily wage for one formerly homeless man to participate on a work crew assignment that prepares him for full-time employment.
- $75 provides a day of high quality preschool for one child.
- $100 connects one low-income family to public benefits, social services, and employment counseling.
- $200 helps a woman secure a $1,500 micro-loan to help her launch or expand her own business.
- $750 provides a year of basic literacy training and G.E.D. test preparation for one student.
- $1000 pays for health care for one adolescent for one year.