BENEFITING: Robin Hood
ORGANIZER: Robin Hood
EVENT DATE: Nov 06, 2016
I'm running my first New York City marathon on behalf of the Robin Hood Foundation! This organization was established in 1988 and fights to eradicate poverty in New York City. It seeks to accomplish that mission by finding and supporting the most effective organizations in NYC working to fight against poverty.
There are over 9,000 organizations working to fight poverty in New York City. The Robin Hood Foundations sifts through those organizations in order to find the most effective. Currently, it provides funding for 200 organizations in the city. One of those 200 recipients of funding happens to be KIPP NYC College Prep in the South Bronx, the school where I have worked for the past year.
As a result of the Robin Hood Foundation's donations, my students are able to learn every day in a beautiful, clean, and state-of-the-art school building. The students have access to an incredible amount of resources from the most basic school supplies, to computers and iPads, to a variety of sports teams and extracurricular activities, to the option to take advanced and AP courses that prepare them for college and beyond.
100% of every dollar raised will be used for Robin Hood's relentless fight against poverty. To date, Robin Hood has raised over $6 million to aid poverty-fighting efforts.
To give you a concrete idea of what you're donation might be used for, refer below:
- $50 covers the daily wage for one formerly homeless man to participate on a work crew assignment that prepares him for full-time employment.
- $75 feeds a family of three for a week.
- $100 provides one night of safe shelter for a family.
- $360 provides a single immigrant mother with a microloan to start her own business.
- $450 provides immigrant students with a college counselor to help prepare applications for schools, scholarships, and financial aid.
- $1000 provides regular asthma treatment to a child, so they can take fewer sick days from school.
I would be so grateful for any donations or well wishes. Thank you for your support!