BENEFITING: Robin Hood
ORGANIZER: Robin Hood
EVENT DATE: Nov 06, 2016
This is my tenth year in New York City, which continues to surprise me every time I think about it. In the last ten years, I've reached many of my big "adult" milestones. I got my first real job as a teacher and my first real apartment. I met my wife, we fell in love and got married in the city. We had a baby and have made a home and a life here.
In order to celebrate these ten milestone years, I've decided to run 26.2 miles with Robin Hood.
In my ten years in urban education, my students have consistenly benefitted from the financial support of Robin Hood. This fall, our team of 100 runners will commit to training and raising money with the promise that 100% of every dollar will be used for Robin Hood’s relentless fight against poverty. It’s no small thing: to date, Race for Robin Hood has raised over $6 million dollars to aid poverty-fighting efforts.
Look what your support can help do for the city of New York:
- $50 covers the daily wage for one formerly homeless man to participate on a work crew assignment that prepares him for full-time employment.
- $75 feeds a family of three for a week.
- $100 provides one night of safe shelter for a family.
- $360 provides a single immigrant mother with a microloan to start her own business.
- $450 provides immigrant students with a college counselor to help prepare applications for schools, scholarships, and financial aid.
- $1000 provides regular asthma treatment to a child, so they can take fewer sick days from school.
Please consider celebrating with me on Novermber 6 as I run the NYC Marathon by making a donation to support my students AND coming to cheer me on!