EVENT DATE: Mar 01, 2017
Team for Kids was established in 2002 as NYRR recognized the need to help city kids become more physically active to lower risk for childhood obesity and related health issues and improve confidence and self-esteem.
In 2014, TFK had over 3,000 adult runners participate in 12 races raising over $6 million for free NYRR running programs nationwide.
The two primary NYRR youth programs, Mighty Milers and Young Runners, are running-based programs that promote children’s physical fitness, character development, personal achievement, and teamwork in communities in New York City and throughout the United States.
Funds Raised by Team for Kids Help Provide:
- Training for teachers, coaches, field managers, and coordinators, most of whom are volunteers.
- Entry fees and transportation to races and related sporting events for the kids.
- Incentives for children to encourage them to attend events and practices, demonstrate sportsmanship and strive for fitness and personal milestones.
- Resources to establish programs in areas of greatest need.
NYRR Programs get Kids Active:
- Lowe risk of childhood obesity and related health issues
- Develop healthy habits
- Improve confidence and self-esteem
- Teach goal-setting
- Help students perform better in school