GBMC FOUNDATION INC wrote -
GBMC participants in the Baltimore Running Festival will be fundraising for GBMC HealthCare's Gilchrist Center Baltimore – Joseph Richey House.
"Some of our patients come to us from their own well-loved homes. For others, Joseph Richey House is their first real stable home after a lifetime of trauma, abuse or abandonment." Tara Weinkam, RN at Joseph Richey
One of the founding principles of Joseph Richey is to provide services to everyone, regardless of their ability to pay. Ten percent of patients have no insurance at all and another 60 percent are unable to pay fully for the cost of their care. Annually, Joseph Richey incurs about $1.2 million annually in uncompensated care costs.
Joseph Richey is a 19-bed residential hospice designed to care for terminally-ill patients who are unable to remain in their own home or who have no able caregiver to assist them as their disease progresses. Joseph Richey serves 150 terminally-ill individuals each year, 80 percent of which are Baltimore City residents.
Joseph Richey is the only hospice facility located in Baltimore City. It fills a significant need in the community, the beds are consistently full and there is generally a waiting list of eligible patients.
Joseph Richey first opened its doors in 1987, and since has provided care to more than 8,000 individuals and their families. In November 2014, Joseph Richey began a partnership with Gilchrist Services to continue serving patients as Gilchrist Center Baltimore – Joseph Richey House.
"The people working there made me feel safe and comfortable. They made me feel like I was family." Gary, a grateful patient
GBMC HealthCare Inc. strives to fulfill a vision of providing every patient, every time with the care we would want for our loved ones, and we are more than just our Towson-based hospital. GBMC HealthCare is:
- our 255-bed medical center (acute and sub-acute care), which handles more than 26,700 inpatient cases and approximately 60,000 emergency room visits annually. The nearly 1,300 physicians who serve on GBMC HealthCare's medical staff make it among the largest of any community hospital in the mid-Atlantic region.
- Greater Baltimore Health Alliance (GBHA), an accountable care organization (ACO) since 2012, was Maryland’s first established ACO. GBHA includes providers from six independent practices.
- Greater Baltimore Medical Associates (GBMA), a multi-specialty group practice of more than 40 physician practices owned by GBMC HealthCare Inc., operating on the hospital's main Towson campus as well as in satellite locations across the region
- Gilchrist Services, an award-winning Medicare/Medicaid certified hospice program and the largest hospice organization in the state of Maryland
- GBMC Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization established in 1987 to centralize and coordinate fundraising efforts to benefit GBMC.
For more information on running with GBMC, please contact the Philanthropy Department at 443-849-2773 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We'd love to have you and it's just a great cause!