BENEFITING: Transverse Myelitis Association
EVENT DATE: Aug 31, 2014
The scariest experience of my life is now a treasure of important life lessons. A little over two years ago I was diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis. I knew something was wrong when I could no longer walk without being held up. In a matter of days I went from being a perfectly healthy college student, preparing to run the Indiana University Bloomington Little 50 race, to a partially paralyzed hospitalized patient, living what seemed to be the scariest days of my life.
I was in Florida when I began to feel the symptoms of TM. I took a 5 am flight back to Chicago and was taken straight to the ER where a 3-hour MRI, spinal tap, and multiple blood samples were taken. I was tested for Multiple Sclerosis, tumors, Meningitis, Lupus, and more. TM was the diagnosis and from then on I fought my way back to a full recovery.
The best lesson I learned from this experience is to never give-up. I did everything in my power to walk again. I made a recovery period of 2 years into 8 months. I missed months of school, yet managed a 3.84 GPA, earning the Best Academic Achievement award in my sorority. TM made me the hard working, persevering, sympathetic person I am today and I am thankful for it. The trials and tribulations we go through can have purpose of making us stronger. We can choose to grow better instead of being bitter. Life lessons mature us and make us more sensitive to others with a deeper appreciation and recognition of the strengths we have.
This 2-year mark is important to me because it means I am less likely to get TM again. To celebrate, I am going to run my first half marathon. I am running this race with my working legs, but mostly with my heart. My heart goes out to the ones wheelchair bound still living in the scariest moments of their lives. Join me and donate to raise awareness about Transverse Myelitis to help more people with the disease become as lucky as I am to be on their feet again.
HOW YOU CAN HELP?:
- DONTATE: Click the "Donate to this fundraiser" on my page and give to TMA.
- RUN WITH ME! Run/walk a 5K or half marathon on August 31st in Chicago. (More information: http://www.womenshalfchicago.com/)
WHERE YOUR MONEY WILL GO?:
We will improve the quality of life of individuals with rare neuroimmunologic disorders by…
- Supporting and advocating for individuals and their families diagnosed with rare neuroimmunologic disorders of the central nervous system.
- Promoting awareness and to empowering patients, families, clinicians and scientists through education programs and publications
- Advancing the scientific understanding of and therapy development by supporting the training of clinicians-scientists and by supporting basic and clinical research
About Transverse Myelitis: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/transverse-myelitis/basics/definition/con-20028884
More about Transverse Myelitis Association: http://myelitis.org
Email me at RUNtoWALK.firstname.lastname@example.org