BENEFITING: CHICAGO METROPOLITAN BATTERED WOMENS NETWORK
ORGANIZER: CHICAGO METROPOLITAN BATTERED WOMENS NETWORK
EVENT: 2015 Chicago Marathon
OMGeeee, I am running a half marathon on September 27th. To accomplish this, I’ve had to make a few adjustments in my life including making sure I have time to train. I have to train. I have to train in order to run. I HAVE TO TRAIN IN ORDER TO RUN 13.1 MILES!!!
- I put on my shoes, I stretch and I run.
- I think about the children who run to aid their parent during a DV disturbance
- I think about the DV victim who runs away in the middle of the night with only the clothes on her/his back
- I think about our court advocates who assist those who run back and forth to court seeking help from the legal system
- I think about the employee who runs to the bathroom to compose her/himself after thinking about what happens when they go home after work
- I think about the adults who run from one abusive relationship to another
- I think about the teenage girl who runs to her boyfriend’s locker after school because he will be looking for her
I put on my shoes, I stretch and I run.
On the days or nights when I feel tired and don’t want to train, I remember a survivor’s story – “…that night while he was out we packed clothes in garbage bags and we left everything else behind.”
THEY RAN and it saved their lives.
I won’t ask you to run with me but please support me as I run the 2015 Chicago Half Marathon on behalf of those impacted by domestic violence. No amount it too small!
Eleven very different domestic violence service providers from across the city have come together to advance their cause via the September 2015 Chicago 5k & Half Marathon and the October 2015 Bank of America Chicago Marathon. All revenue generated by the Run DV Out of Town team, will be used by its member agencies for domestic violence prevention and supportive services for its survivors.
The Coalition is an unprecedented collaboration representing diverse populations across Chicago.
The Coalition Members of Run Domestic Violence Out of Town:
South Suburban Family Shelter (SSFS) - I am on the board of directors!!!
Arab American Family Services (AAFS)
Center for Advancing Domestic Peace
Chicago Metropolitan Battered Women's Network (CMBWN)
Connections for Abused Women and their Children(CAWC)
Domestic Violence Legal Clinic
Healthcare Alternative Systems
Metropolitan Family Services
(WINGS) Women in Need Growing Stronger
Thank you in advance for your love, support and prayers as I run this race!