BENEFITING: ORGANIZATION FOR AUTISM RESEARCH
ORGANIZER: ORGANIZATION FOR AUTISM RESEARCH
EVENT DATE: May 05, 2013
Thank you for visiting my Personal Fundraising Page for the Pittsburgh Marathon as I run for autism research. Donating through this site is simple, fast and totally secure. It is also the most efficient way to make a contribution to my fundraising efforts.
Why I am doing this?
Once again I will be running for a reason -- and again I am running for my two dear friends Brian and Mary Beiler and their two children, Steve and Dave, who both have autism. My training for the Pittsburgh Marathon as well as other runs and races over the next 6 months is dedicated to Steve and Dave. Aside from that personal connection, as I did more research on autism I discovered that autism is one of the most underfunded medical challenges in our society.
Prevalence vs. Private Funding
* Leukemia: Affects 1 in 1,200 / Funding: $277 million
* Muscular Dystrophy: Affects 1 in 100,000 / Funding: $162 million
* Pediatric AIDS: Affects 1 in 300 / Funding: $394 million
* Juvenile Diabetes: Affects 1 in 500 / Funding: $156 million
* Autism: Affects 1 in 110 / Funding: $79 million
National Institutes of Health Funds Allocation
* Total 2010 NIH budget: $35.6 billion
* Of this, only $218 million goes directly to autism research. This represents 0.6% of total NIH funding
I will be running to raise funds for the Organization for Autism Research. (www.researchautism.org) OAR is the only autism organization which focuses solely on applied research.
* Putting research to work providing answers to questions for those confronted directly and indirectly by autism
* Funding research studies that investigate treatments, educational approaches, and statistical aspects of autism
Again, many thanks for your support -- and don't forget to forward this to anyone who you think might want to donate too!