Run for Sedona Funds
Organized by: Heather Hermen
EVENT DATE Feb 06, 2016
The Sedona Marathon took place February 6, 2016. I ran the Sedona Half Marathon to raise money for Sedona's teachers and students.
I did the hard part; training, running early in the morning, tired muscles, occasional chaffing. You just had to donate. You all helped me raise funds for our Sedona School District's teachers and students. The money is going directly to them and is benefitting our kids. Want to give $100 and have it go specifically towards your child's class for paper, crayons or markers? Just say it when you donate. This money will go to them, for them, from us.
There have been some questions about donations. If you don't know which teacher to give it to, you can say: I want my $100 to benefit the 4th grade teachers at all schools with paper and markers, or colored pencils and folders, or for a new backpack to a needy student at any school. The options are endless and everyone will know the results. I'll be putting out press releases, posting results of donations, and making sure the public knows where the money goes and the difference it has made. So, donate knowing that the teachers and students will benefit directly!
We can raise money with your generous support and I'll keep you in the loop about who is donating, how much, where the money goes and the difference we make TOGETHER! Help me Run for Sedona Funds.
UPDATE: Monday February 29, 2016
We hit the 66% mark and to date have been able to do the following:
- 20 USB drives and a rolling cart for the 4/5 combo class at Big Park School.
- 10 iPod shuffles to the Interact Club at Sedona Red Rock High School. They work with elderly individuals in Sedona with dementia. With the power of music, the students learn from a senior generation.
- $100 in books for Ms. Lynch's class at Big Park School.The best part- by spending money at the Book Fair we turned the $100 into $150 because $.50 from every dollar spent at the Fair is given to the School to be used in the Library! That's a pretty great thing.
- Mrs. Kirkham needed some mechanical pencils and a new swivel computer chair at Big Park School. She received all of that this week- the first week back after Christmas vacation.
- 120 copies of Dante's Inferno for the Humanities teacher at Sedona Red Rock High School.
- 2 TI-84 calculators for the math department at Sedona Red Rock High School. These were used but new ones will be supplied soon. They are very expensive!
- A $500 donation to West Sedona School for their library. The West Sedona PTA works hard to pay for staffing and this will help offset some of that cost.
- The multi-age teachers at Big Park were surprised on Wednesday January 13 with cleaning supplies, books, paper towels, some Smithsonian learning tools for kids, and a $100 Walmart card for each of the 4 teachers to buy supplies.
- The Eye Boutique of Sedona generously donated $2,500 and Amazon gift certificates were purchased for all teachers, aides and staff at Big Park School to spend on themselves.
- A catered lunch was ordered and served to all West Sedona teachers and staff Wednesday February 3 along with a raffle for gift cards and certificates including: Staples, Walmart, Safeway, Subway, and more.
- A science field trip for Big Park 3rd grade class to the Lowell Observatory will take place in March 4, 2016. This includes a special t-shirt for each student, a hands on lesson for every 3rd grade student, pizza for lunch, and bus transportation to and from the Observatory.
- 19 Science and Biology books for the science department at Red Rock High School.
Stay tuned for more information and details.