Skip to content
carolhilker's profile image - click for profile

Carol Hilker's Fundraiser:

Carol Hilker - Running for Mom

Carol's Photo

BENEFITING: Ovarian Cancer Research Fund Alliance, Inc.

EVENT DATE: Sep 09, 2012

Carol Hilker

THE STORY:

Ovarian Cancer is the fifth leading cause of death in women in the U.S.. The worst part of it is that it is a silent killer, with little to no symptoms. It is also extremely difficult to detect. My mother, Carol Ann Hilker lost her battle to Ovarian Cancer in 1981, two weeks before my first birthday, leaving behind three children.

I constantly fear that I will suffer the same fate. And I constantly worry that other people will too. More than anything, I worry about how many other kiddos out there will lose their own mom to this, especially with detection being so difficult. The only way to truly spot Ovarian Cancer is with an ultra-sound. (Only about half of the insurance providers will cover this test.)

For most of my life (okay, all), I have hated being a runner. I always joke that if I were to be banished to Hell one day, I'd most likely spend eternity running the Jr. High mile over and over. This year, in an attempt to better my own health, I made the committment to run my first 5k. The fact that I could raise money and awareness for Ovarian Cancer with an organization that donates 90% of their profits to helping those handle, treat, survive and prevent Ovarian Cancer (the other 10% collectively go to admin and fundraising), was just the push I needed.

I'd like to ask you to donate, run or just support me by sharing this donation page on Facebook or Twitter to promote awarness for those who fight Ovanrian Cancer; In honor of the many other women out there who never got or will get a chance to watch their babies grow up.

Women just like our mother, who at the age of 39, after fighting with all her might, had to leave behind a teenage daughter, a teenage son, and a baby girl.

Thank you for reading.

***Also, anyone who donates over $50 will recieve either one dozen pie pops or one batch of marshmallows. Flavors vary.   :)

DONATE

To This Fundraiser

$1,070

MONEY RAISED
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Aunt Marge

     

  • Jenna Kelley

     

  • Anonymous

     

  • H&H Home Solutions

    $50

  • Leah Wilcox

    $50

  • PPJ and MamaB

     

  • Doreen & Larren

    $100

  • The Davis Family

    $25

  • T and T Wojtalewicz

    $40

  • Lara Lopp

    $25

  • Bob and Karen Swigart

    $50

  • Alexa Thomas

    $25

  • Kristena Fetherling

    $25

  • Anonymous

    $10

  • Jaimie Mancham-Case

    $10

  • The Sizemore Family

    $20

  • Jucius Family

    $100

  • Pete and Tara Rubinas

     

  • Kaden & Kameron Killeen

    $20

  • Evan and Elena Rubinas

    $50

  • The Eavenson Family

    $10

  • Donna & Rodger Bekooy

    $50

  • Aunt Kathy and Uncle Dave

     

  • Steve and Patrice Yursik

    $20

  • Colin

    $25

  • Beth Holiner

    $25

  •  
  •  
  •  
 

428% Raised of $250 Goal

Fundraise for this Campaign

The Team: $1,070 TOTAL RAISED SO FAR

JOIN THE TEAM

Want to help Fundraise or Volunteer for this amazing Fundraiser? Join the Team

Donor Comments

Beth Holiner

Beth Holiner

DONATION: $25

5 years ago

Colin

Colin

DONATION: $25

5 years ago

Steve and Patrice Yursik

Steve and Patrice Yursik

DONATION: $20

We love you, Carol! 5 years ago

Aunt Kathy and Uncle Dave

Aunt Kathy and Uncle Dave

5 years ago

Donna & Rodger Bekooy

Donna & Rodger Bekooy

DONATION: $50

Thank you for doing this, Carol. What a wonderful gift in memory of your mom. Aunt Donna & Uncle Rodger 5 years ago

The Eavenson Family

The Eavenson Family

DONATION: $10

5 years ago

Evan and Elena Rubinas

Evan and Elena Rubinas

DONATION: $50

We're proud of you Aunt Carol and know that you're going to dominate the run this weekend! 5 years ago

Kaden & Kameron Killeen

Kaden & Kameron Killeen

DONATION: $20

5 years ago

Pete and Tara Rubinas

Pete and Tara Rubinas

Best wishes on Sunday, Carol! 5 years ago

Jucius Family

Jucius Family

DONATION: $100

Thanks so much fo doing this Carol. Mom would be so proud!! 5 years ago