BENEFITING: BOW DOWN INC
Project 5:16 derives its name from Matthew 5:16. This verse is ultimately our end goal for our disciples because as you walk in Christlikeness, you will live for the Father.
Matthew 5:16 “In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.”
Description of Program:
Project 5:16 is an intense, ten-month discipleship program that is based on the model of Jesus choosing the twelve and doing life with them. Young adults move into the inner city, where they serve alongside ministry leaders in a number of different ways- prayer walks, street evangelism, homeless ministry, service projects, sports outreaches, Bible studies and many other ministry opportunities. The main thrust of Project 5:16 is this: We care more about who you are then what you do. This is how Christ made disciples. The students will journal through and memorize the book of Ephesians, read 10 books, receive counseling ministry, and have accountability partners as they learn how to live as Christ.
Basic aspects of Project 5:16 include:
- Disciples will live and work in the Tamarind Avenue Community, primarily working with at risk, inner-city children.
- Disciples will have a leader pouring into their lives in a one on one setting that will challenge them to live as Christ through high accountability and encouragement.
- Disciples will be equipped in God’s Word
- Disciples will learn how to live in community with fellow brothers and sisters in Christ
- Disciples will learn how to effectively minister in a various setting
- Disciples will put what they believe and have learned into practice by loving and serving people of the community through the ministries of Bow Down Church
The three goals of Project 5:16:
Your discipleship and who you become as a person is more of a priority than what you do during your time at Project 5:16. (Romans 8:29, Luke 6:40, 1 John 2:5-6)
Galatians 4:19 ”My little children, for whom I am again in the anguish of childbirth until Christ is formed in you!”
Learning to be in community is rearranging from “me” to “we.” It involves putting others above yourself. (John 13:34-35, Philippians 2:1-4, Psalm 23, Psalm 133)
John 17:21 “That they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me.”
You will serve this community, as you proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ through various outreaches, Bible studies, mentoring, and service projects. (2 Corinthians 5:18-20, Matthew 16:24)
2 Corinthians 5:18-20 “...gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ, God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.”
Curriculum for Project 5:16:
- Memorize and journal through the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7).
- Attend Unmasked Training School, a training school to equip you for one on one prayer ministry.
- Read one book each month and participate in weekly book reviews.
- A new topic will be covered each month. Weekly teachings and readings will be focused on the topic. Topics include: Unity, Prayer Counseling, Identity in Christ, Spiritual Disciplines, Family Life, Becoming and Making Disciples, Practical Ministry, Call to the Poor, Shepherding, Doctrine, and the Kingdom of God.