Sabaki Village Cooperative Improvement Fund
Organized by: Victoria Tang
The work continues!
September 27, 2017
Sabaki Village, on Kenya's east coast, is home to approximately 500 members of the Giriama tribe. Like you and I, they have tightly knit families and depend on their community for support. Often there are just not enough resources to cover even the most basic human needs - sanitation, hunger, disease-control and education. Your help in making a donation to the Cooperative Improvement fund will support these families directly.
The Giriama are a welcoming group, everywhere I go I am greeted by shouts of "Jambo!" and "Karibu!" (Hello and welcome!"). It is such a thrill for me to wave to the kids and women carrying water on their heads and to see their smiling faces every day. But still, these joyful people are in need and we can help.
Sabaki is not looking for charity but they do need help. In discussions with elders of the village we established a list of priorities that will have the greatest impact:
1) Sanitation: toilets in every family's compound will ensure that diseases like cholera and bilharzia will not spread and weaken the community base.
2) Land preparation and seeds for growing now and saving for next year's planting will fight hunger this year and in the future.
3) Mosquito nets to prevent the spread of Malaria. Mosquitos are a real threat here, especially to the young and elderly. Too often a family must forego their daily bread to purchase medication for sick family members.
4) Provide education to the community on HIV/AIDS and STI's. There is such a lack of information here! We have started this programme already because we could do it without a large capital base. I am so proud of this work. Knowledge is power.
5) Educate the children whose families cannot afford to send them to government schools that charge school fees. A school for children of poverty has been started for the poorest of the poor and the teachers are paid very little, if at all. They are giving of themselves to ensure an educated community in the future.
I beg you to donate to the Sabaki Village Cooperative Improvement Fund. Crowdrise enables us to keep all of your donations and put them to use. Along with my team of committed volunteers, we can make the lives of these people better. And as Dr. Seuss so aptly wrote: "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
It's important for me to let you know that these proud people are willing to put in their own sweat equity to improve the village. They are not looking for handouts. They just don't have money! Toilets are our first priority and we have established an understanding with the villagers that if they will prepare the waste catching hole that must be 15 feet deep, our Fund will provide the money to purchase concrete, cement and building blocks that will complete the job. We will carry this principle of cooperation with us as we accomplish our goals.
Please donate today. Please donate now!
Please share this message and link with everyone you know!
Your donation will improve the lives of the people of Sabaki.
Thank you, Assante Sana!