Mama Salama: The Safe Haven
Mama Salama is a project to raise funds to fund a shelter for women who have been subjected to domestic and spousal abuse, to be located in Nairobi, Kenya.
Domestic and Intimate Partner Violence is a major issue in Kenya. 36 percent of Kenyan women reported having experienced domestic violence from their husband, and a whooping 47 per cent reported experiencing emotional, physical or sexual violence by their current partner or husband. These are staggering figures! Given that the population of Kenya is 40 million, we are talking about close to 18 million women who will experience domestic violence in their lifetime.
Mama Salama: The Safe Haven, was founded in August 2011 as a program of the Global South Foundation, Inc., and was subsequently registered as an independent, women-led organization. The Mission of the Mama Salama: The Safe Haven organization is to provide women with Safe Space (temporary accommodation), Counseling and Support (overcome the violence), Employment and Housing placement (with leading organizations, with discretion) and assist the women rebuild their lives as they build support networks for other women in the same situation.
While eliminating domestic and intimate partner violence is beyond the scope of this organization, although we will continue to advocate for the same, we plan to assist as many women as possible to be independent of their abusive situations. This is what your contribution will do:
- Help us establish a hotline for individuals seeking help
Briefly describe your campaign and why it’s important to you.
Express the magnitude of what contributors will help you achieve.
Remember, keep it concise, yet personal. Ask yourself: if someone stopped reading here would they be ready to make a contribution?
What We Need & What You Get
Our goal is to raise $10,000 over the next few months. With these funds, we will:
- Install a hotline to the Mama Salama shelter ($200/year)
- Provide communication equipment for Counselors and other program staff, including encrypted computer systems for Office staff ($1500)
- Provide safe space for at least four women for three months at a time by establishing safe residences ($2,000 for the year)
- Assist our clients with small loans to help them start enterpreneurial businesses (such as selling curio items) ($2,000)
- Maintain transportation to respond quickly to calls for placement ($2000)
- Use some of the proceeds for maintenance of the Shelter and the residents for a period of one year ($2,200)
- All Funds raised, even if they don't reach the target, will be used to put up the beginnings of the shelter.
For your generous contribution:
You will be featured in the Friends of the Women Circle and prominently
For donations above $50, each donor will receive a certificate of appreciation and an African Art item
The amount proposed will assist at least 16 women in the first year to rebuild their lives, through safe safe shelter, counseling, peer support and job placement, and will expand in the subsequent years. These women can then begin forming support groups to other women to enable them to stand up to domestic and intimate partner violence, and reduce those numbers of individuals dealing with the problem.
Other Ways You Can Help
Even if you don't contribute in monetary terms, we are certain you can help us spread the word and let others know what we are trying to accomplish. Whether you are a volunteer spokesperson for Mama Salama and our programs, or will feature the campaign on your facebook, be one of those that are making a difference! Thank you for supporting us.