Samaritans wrote -
Running the Distance for Suicide Prevention!
Thank you for visiting the 2015 Samaritans Marathon Team homepage! Our team is raising awareness and funds for Samaritans, Inc., a non-profit dedicated to reducing the incidence of suicide. The 2015 Boston Marathon will be held on Monday, April 20.
Thanks to the John Hanock Non-Profit Marathon Program, this is the eighth consecutive year that Samaritans has received bib numbers for our Marathon Team. All proceeds generated from this year's team will benefit Samaritans' suicide prevention services including our 24/7 Crisis Services including a Crisis Text Line providing emotional support to young people via text. Last year, we answered over 142,000 calls and more than 900 chats; our prevention services reached almost 13,000 people through our Community Education and Outreach Program workshops; and our Grief Support Services provided more than 900 connections to those who have lost a loved one to suicide.
"To the heart of Gold Band at Samaritans: Thank you from the bottom of my heart for keeping me afloat for over a decade. I have called from the streets, from payphones, addicted to hard drugs and alcohol, and I have called from some of the fiercest penitentiaries in this country. There is no question in my mind, heart and soul that I would not be alive today without the incredible folks at Samaritans. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and all of yours, and many, many more. Only happy and healthy ones to you and all of yours. Forever indebted." - A Crisis Helpline Caller, December 18, 2012
Each day - because of donors like you - Samaritans is able to provide a moment of light and hope to people who are struggling, isolated, or feeling overwhelmed. Sometimes the warmth of a voice and the ear of someone who cares is all any of us needs to make it through a difficult moment. For more information about Samaritans life-saving programs, please visit us at www.samaritanshope.org.
Last year's team raised an incredible $255,000 for Samaritans and we are hoping to building upon their success in 2015! There are many ways to help us reach our ambitious goal:
- Make a donation. Donate directly to one or more of our runners by clicking on their individual pages below, or you can make a general donation to the entire team. You can also make a donation by check by mailing it to: 41 West Street, 4th Floor, Boston MA 02111. Please be sure to include the name of the runner you would like to support in the memo line.
- Join our Team! Are you someone who has qualified to run the Boston Marathon or has received a bib number from another source? Make your marathon experience more meaningful by training, running, and fundraising with the Samaritans Team!
- Sponsor the team or an individual runner. Thank you to our current team sponsors, Vista Equity Partners, the Christian M. Caldaroni Memorial Fund, The Shipley School, Klaviyo, C & D Electronics and The Woerdeman Financial Group!
If you are interested in joining or supporting the team, contact Team Manager Eve Rabinowitz.
- Participating in physical challenge of your choosing and want to raise awareness and funds for suicide prevention at the same time? Contact Eve Rabinowitz for more information about joining Samaritans' Running Community - even if its not a running event, we're always open to new ideas and would love to find a way to work with you!
- Track our runner's progress through Samaritans' Facebook and Twitter accounts!
No matter how you decide to contribute, please know that your support will help ensure that our services educating the public, helping to help after a loss to suicide, or providing lifesaving services for those feeling suicidal, remain free of charge to the members of our community. Thank you so much!
Upcoming Events to Benefit Samaritans
- Paint to prevent suicide with marathon team member Liz at The Paint Bar - Sunday, March 29 at 7PM, 823 Washington Street, Newton, $35 to join
- Party with marathon team members Nickie and Ray after their long run at Joe Sent Me -Saturday, March 28 at 7PM, 2388 Massachusetts Avenue, Boston, $20 to join
- Whether your a regular bowler or its your first time, join marathon team member Jimmy for the "This is How We Roll" bowling tournament at South Boston Bowlarama - Friday, April 3 from 6PM - 10PM at 543 East Broadway, Boston
- Stop by Nurse's Hall at the State House to take your picture with the Boston Strong Quilt and tweet us @SamaritansHope for a chance to celebrate with the marathon team at the after party! April 1 - April 20, 8:45 - 5PM
- Each Tuesday in April, Not Your Average Joe's will donate 15% of your bill towards marathon team member Liz's goal of $9,000 for suicide prevention if you present this coupon! Tuesday April 7, 11, 21 and 28, 109 Chapel Street, Needham
- Get fit with marathon team member Deanna at Green Grass Fitness Bootcamp - Saturday, April 11 at 8:30AM at the Framingham State University Maple Street Field, $25 to join
- Now through April 20, visit Nadine at Contemporary Trends and 50% of your salon service will be donated directly to marathon team member Mo's fundraising goal - 501 Daniel Webster Hwy in Merrimack, NH
- Lesley University students are hosting an art show, "Semi-Permanent Lifestyle: Urban Art and More" to benefit Samaritans at Arts at the Armory - Friday, April 24 from 7PM - 10:30PM at 191 Highland Avenue, Somerville
- 5K Run/Walk in Memory of Bianca – Saturday, April 18 at 10AM, The Rail Trail at the Moose Lodge, 67 Fitchburg Street, Marlborough, $25 per person, $50 for a family of 5