Six days until race day!
April 12, 2016
BENEFITING: The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
EVENT DATE: Apr 18, 2016
2015 has been a bittersweet year. While I was able to qualify for the Boston Marathon with my personal best time of 3 hours 40 minutes, we watched one of our best friends struggle bravely and ultimately pass away from lymphoma. While we cannot bring him back, I can fight where he left off, the best way that I know how.
Running is the physical and mental challenge that makes me feel alive. As long as I am alive, I will run. As long as I have legs, they will carry me over the finish line, driven by the images of my family and friends, pushing me along.
So many of us have been touched by cancer, and watched loved ones fight the relentless disease. Let's get one step closer to kicking cancer's ass! Thank you so much for your support...
Your donations to LLS will be used for the following:
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Invest in Finding Cures
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is the largest voluntary cancer research agency specifically focused on finding cures and better treatments for blood cancer patients. With the scope and scale to fund many projects at the same time, LLS supports hundreds of cancer scientists around the world.
Research Depends on You
Unlike commercial enterprises that consider blood cancers as "orphan diseases" with small markets and limited profit potential, LLS funds research based on medical need without regard to commercial return or market size. Every dollar invested comes from charitable support from concerned donors.
Extend Your Reach
LLS funds hundreds of promising researchers at leading cancer centers and universities worldwide. And since LLS has no campus or laboratories to maintain, your investment funds more research and less overhead than a donation made elsewhere.
Why Invest Now?
Many scientists, clinicians and clinical trial participants have developed and improved current standards of care over time. It takes about eight years to develop a successful new drug. The time to invest in new therapies is now.
What Will My Donation Do?
- Encourage scientists to pursue blood cancer research. Grants to young scientists help grow research talent even as federal research funding becomes increasingly limited.
- Develop "targeted therapies" that kill cancer cells selectively. By hitting specific molecular targets, these treatments don't harm patients' healthy cells, resulting in fewer dangerous side effects.
- Test immunotherapies. Immunotherapies strengthen a patient's own immune system so it can better fight infections and attack cancer cells, reducing the need for damaging chemotherapy.
- Improve the safety of today's cures. LLS funds research to predict, manage and prevent complications in patients most at risk for long-term and late effects of treatment.
- Help patients and their families make informed decisions. LLS supplies information and counseling to help guide patients through their cancer journey and access current treatment and clinical trial options.
- Offer community services. Among the wide array of programs LLS provides are those that link newly diagnosed patients with trained volunteers and that help young cancer patients return to school after an absence resulting from treatment.
- Encourage our state and federal legislators to support blood cancer issues. With your help, LLS brings to the attention of lawmakers the urgent need for increased government funding and support of research and patient access to affordable treatment and quality care.
Make a Difference!
You can make a difference in so many ways.