Please help save our home
Organized by: Jean MacIntyre
On 1/2/14, we had a small chimney fire in our home. Due to a lack of follow through on my part, I accidently let the insurance lapse. Because we own the home outright, with no mortgage, I didn't think it would be a big deal, until the fire happened. My husband is disabled and does not work. Our only income is from my employment. I have gone back and forth with housing court for the past year. The building inspector has verified that the house is safe and does not need to be vacated. A code enforcement officer is making it sound as though two rooms are severely damaged and the home is unlivable. The only damage is to two walls and a few floor boards, but the contractor estimated $15,000 . The court is threatening to place our home in the hands of a receiver, which means he would pay for the repairs and it we don't re-pay him, he can sell our house.