Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organization creating lasting change in the lives of children in need. For more than 90 years, gender equity has been one of our core principles – central to our work in supporting health, education and economic opportunity.
Top Five Reasons to Invest in Girls
The evidence is clear. When girls thrive, all children have a better chance to grow up happy and healthy. Did you know that investing in girls ...
- Saves lives. Death in childbirth and domestic violence drops dramatically for girls who stay in school and get married after they complete their education.
- Creates prosperity. For every year a girl stays in school, their earning potential increases by as much as 25%. Ninety percent of their income supports their families, helping to break the cycle of poverty.
- Reduces hunger. Rural women produce half the world’s food, as much as 80% in some developing countries - but girls often eat last and least putting them at increased risk for malnutrition.
- Makes all children healthier. If girls stay in school, the mortality rate of their children under the age of five is cut in half.
It’s the right thing to do. Women and girls comprise 70% of the world’s poorest people. They need our help.
What You Can Do
We can’t do it alone. And we need help from caring people like you to support all of our work, including programs for girls’ education, health and empowerment, and so much more for children around the world.
- $10 can provide treatment for a girl with anemia
- $25 can provide school supplies for one year
- $30 can train a trafficking survivor to promote safety to at-risk girls and young women
- $50 can provide a bicycle for a health worker to make house calls to sick children