Save the Rhino International Inc works to conserve genetically viable populations of critically endangered rhinoceros species in the wild, by fundraising for and making grants to rhino- and community-focused conservation projects in Africa and Asia.
The funds raised by SRI Inc are used to support projects that address rhino conservation through a number of measures:
• Community conservation programmes that develop sustainable methods by which local communities can creatively manage natural resources
• Environmental education programmes that teach children and adults about the importance of preserving natural resources and address human-wildlife conflict issues
• Anti-poaching and monitoring patrols, which detect and deter poachers and gather information about rhino ranges and numbers
• Translocations, so that rhinos from established populations can be reintroduced to former habitats
• Research into the threats to rhino survival and alternatives to the use of rhino horn
• Veterinary work, such as the implanting of transmitters into horns, or removal of snares