THANK YOU from this little guy (and so many more... )
March 17, 2017
We're working with KURMALLIANCE to support a sea turtle conservation and hatchery in Jiquilillo, Chinandega, Nicaragua, on Nicaragua’s north pacific coast. Then in November, we're going on a Journey to help release the sea turtles and learn from the locals.
The program started as a local community project, and grew from there thanks to volunteers and local families. Many factors have been detrimental to the sea turtles, nesting sites and hatchlings: fishing boats, population growth, local predators, climate change, and coastline changes have all posed challenges and threatened their survival.
- Save the populations of sea turtles that nest on the beaches of the Estero Padre Ramos Natural Reserve.
- Create a database of sea turtle species that nest on the beaches of the Estero Padre Ramos Natural Reserve.
- Promote environmental education and raise awareness of the importance of sea turtle conservation to locals.
- Continue to give incentives for nests found to collectors in the area, as a mechanism to avoid the full marketing of the species in domestic and international markets.
- Continue to work in partnership with local communities and leaders, state institutions, cooperatives, and schools.
- Operating in partnership with the community of Punta Venecia, just over 23,000 sea turtle hatchlings were released in 2015.
- The registration process documented information about the origin of the eggs, quantity, species, collector, time of nesting female turtles, tide, etc.
- Sea turtle species documented include Olive Ridley, Hawksbill, and Leatherback.
- There were fewer reports of stolen nests from previous season.
- Turtle nests were guarded in a protected nursery, keeping the eggs safe from all kinds of external predators.
Last year just over 23,000 turtles were released and it cost $13,000 USD. This year the goal is to release 50,000 turtles; $20,000 is needed by mid-November to meet that goal.
Journey is taking on $2,000 of this total $20k goal.
Your donation is crucial; we can’t do it without YOU!