Margaux Escutin via Crowdrise
October 03, 2013
BENEFITING: WITNESS FOR PEACE SOUTHEAST
EVENT DATE: Jun 30, 2014
Help me put my classroom knowledge to use as I travel to Colombia!
Prove that an education isn't a complete waste of time when I apply my economics know-how to the real world!
I am a statistics student at NCSU who will examine the impact of U.S. corporations and trade on the environment, labor, and way of life in Colombia.
I will also analyze the impacts of free trade on Colombia and the United States as part of the Witness for Peace's Colombia Delegation.
The delegation's objectives are to
- explore the impacts of free trade and multinational corporate practices on the lives of small communities and workers
- talk with Colombian historians, economists and NGOs who will help us understand the context of trade and mining in Colombia
- meet with community members, union members, and others affected by the presence of large coal companies
- create an action plan applying the information from the course of the trip
- meet with the U.S. embassy to share our observations
Education, application, and activism. Help me make it happen. Thanks for your support!