SHINE FOUNDATION INC wrote -
Launched in 2014, Shine Foundation's mission is to help homeless abuse survivors, in NYC and Baltimore, improve their financial health, through customized financial workshops and programs. Sample projects have included:
- Zumba and Savings: a program that incorporated savings tips and goal setting into Zumba workout classes
- Money and Mocktails: a "happy hour" financial literacy series where Shine’s volunteers engaged survivors in discussions on resolving their financial concerns
- Financial Health Night: a fair-styled event with themed booths ranging from tips on saving money on childcare and food, to job search assistance and resume building guidance
In less than two-years, and as a purely volunteer-led group, we have successfully engaged in almost 10 projects with more than 60 survivors, all of whom have provided overwhelmingly positive feedback. In this coming year and with our expansion to NYC, we expect to help even more survivors improve their financial health!
What few realize is that limited financial literacy is the leading reason why survivors stay in or return to their abusive relationships. In fact...
- 98% of all domestic violence cases involve some form of financial abuse;
- 74% of survivors stay in abusive relationships for longer due to financial concerns; and
- Domestic violence is a leading cause of homelessness.
Yet, few dedicated financial services exist in domestic violence shelters across the U.S. For these reasons, Shine is passionate about financially assisting homeless abuse survivors. Today, we ask that you join us in helping survivors thrive, financially, by donating to our fundraising campaign. 100% of all proceeds will go directly to funding our projects.
Thanks for collaborating with us against abuse!