We are tackling the two most epidemics hitting our communities illiteracy & homelessness with children. With your support this will help provide a book to a child, mentor for afterschool, warm coat, and home retention services for the family. Help us END THE STIGMA! As a community we are armed with the knowledge to change the conversation about homelessness & illiteracy only in urban communities. The Detroit Metro area (Wayne, Oakland, Macomb and Monroe counties) has over 34,642 homeless people, including 5,536 children in families and 192 unaccompanied minors. This area has the highest homeless population in the state of Michigan. Did you know?
- There are more than 86,189 homeless persons in Michigan.
- 50 % of those homeless in Michigan are adults, and children in families.
- More than half of the homeless persons in families are children.
- 69 % of homeless Michigan families are single mothers with children. The average age of a homeless child is 7.6 years old.
- 60 % of adults in the prison system read or below the fourth-grade level.
- 85 % of juvenile delinquents are functionally illiterate.
- Children with low reading abilities tend to grow-up and live below the poverty line.
Help us by giving generously to kids! Let them know that you care. Single Family Living service communities in: Wayne, Macomb, Oakland, and Genessee County.