BENEFITING: WATERVILLE DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
The mission of the Skatepark Association of Waterville (SAW) is to promote physical fitness for the youth by offering recreational opportunities designed to promote self esteem, respect for others, and social responsibility while also helping them develop a positive self-image, enthusiastic attitude, greater self-awareness and constructive peer interaction all in a safe and secure area by creating skate terrain appropriate to the divers ages and skill levels of those who skate.
1) Greatly improves the safety of the Green Street Park recreation area by introducing ‘cameras’ and increased foot traffic.
2) Vastly improves the difficulty of the skatepark so more skaters are drawn to the park and therefore resists the urge to skate in the streets.
3) Provides a fun and adequate recreation for kids, teens, and adults by adding new features such as disc golf nets and organized sport teams.
4) Attracts and draws in out-of-town people to skate the park, which in turn increases the economy of Waterville form in city pruchases.
5) Prevents the youth from getting into trouble by offering a safe and fun environment to go to.
6) The project will help with giving the youth healthy options by providing a safe and athletic environment. There will also be a Learn to Skate Program offered for any child, teen, or adult to learn how to skateboard or rollerblade during the Summer time.
**The video shown is a push for more skateparks. Although set in Columbia, the video applies for skateparks everywhere.