As a former SMART student, (Class of 2015) I can delightfully say that the best nine years of my life were spent experiencing the variety of resources SMART has to offer its students. The highlights of my time at SMART include: identity and social justice based workshops, fun field trips and holiday socials, SSAT, SAT, and personal statement writing prep, spending time with my tutor and mentor, and participating in Norcal and Socal college tour with SMART peers and staff. These fulfilling experiences would not be possible without the generous support of our donors, sponsors, mentors, tutors and volunteers. Now, as a Program Associate, my favorite part about SMART is being able to provide academic and social assistance for both our middle school and high school students. Our students continue to thrive and grow as leaders and scholars due to the the abundance of resources that SMART provides for them.
With your donation, SMART will be able to grow and support even more students and families than we ever have in the past. Please consider donating to SMART this holiday season with whatever amount you can! Every dollar you donate yields $6.50 of return in support to our students.
SMART wrote -
Since 1997, SMART has prepared highly-motivated, low-income students to achieve individual success.
Ninety-four percent of SMART Scholars are the first in their family to attend college, 100% graduate high school, and since 2011, 100% of SMART graduates pursue a college degree (compared to 51% nationally).
Each year, SMART recruits a cohort of fourth-grade students to embark on an eight-year journey that culminates in college matriculation. Nominated by elementary schools and community-based organizations, SMART scholars are expected to graduate our program possessing certain personal qualities, including intellectual curiosity and academic confidence, social and emotional intelligence, civic mindedness, self-advocacy and awareness, empathy, resilience, and grit.
To meet these goals, SMART provides a comprehensive program which includes advocacy with and placement into academically rigorous partner schools, after-school and summer programming, tutoring, mentoring, workshops, and a parent education series.
One-hundred percent of our administrative costs are covered by our Board of Directors. Your gift will directly support our incredible Scholars and their goals of obtaining a college degree. To learn more about our program, please visit theSMARTprogram.org.
For every $1 you donate, SMART Scholars receive $6.50 worth of services and support. Thank you so much for your belief in our program and our Scholars!
- $25 provides essential school supplies for a Scholar in need.
- $50 provides a healthy snack for a Scholar in our summer and after-school programs.
- $75 covers a college application fee for a high school Senior.
- $100 provides a high school student with access to professional tutoring services.
- $250 provides a rising 5th or 6th grade Scholar with an academic 6-week summer program to support their transition into middle school.
- $500 provides a middle school Scholar with safe transportation from school to SMART twice a week for a year.
- $750 provides a high school Scholar with an all-expense paid trip to visit northern and southern California colleges.
- $2,500 provides a Scholar with customized placement support into middle school or high school, including individualized counseling, test prep, application fees, school tours, translation services and more.
- $5,000 provides a Scholar with all program components for a full year including after-school programming, specialized curriculum, individualized academic support, a family education series and more.
- INVALUABLE: Donate your time! Volunteer as a tutor, mentor, or participate in a short-term volunteer opportunity. Visit theSMARTprogram.org/volunteer to learn more.