SMART wrote -
Since 1997, SMART has prepared highly-motivated, low-income students to achieve individual success.
Ninety-four percent of SMART Scholars are the first in their family to attend college, 100% graduate high school, and since 2011, 100% of SMART graduates pursue a college degree (compared to 51% nationally).
Each year, SMART recruits a cohort of fourth-grade students to embark on an eight-year journey that culminates in college matriculation. Nominated by elementary schools and community-based organizations, SMART scholars are expected to graduate our program possessing certain personal qualities, including intellectual curiosity and academic confidence, social and emotional intelligence, civic mindedness, self-advocacy and awareness, empathy, resilience, and grit.
To meet these goals, SMART provides a comprehensive program which includes advocacy with and placement into academically rigorous partner schools, after-school and summer programming, tutoring, mentoring, workshops, and a parent education series.
One-hundred percent of our administrative costs are covered by our Board of Directors. Your gift will directly support our incredible Scholars and their goals of obtaining a college degree. To learn more about our program, please visit theSMARTprogram.org.
For every $1 you donate, SMART Scholars receive $6.50 worth of services and support. Thank you so much for your belief in our program and our Scholars!
- $25 provides essential school supplies for a Scholar in need.
- $50 provides a healthy snack for a Scholar in our summer and after-school programs.
- $75 covers a college application fee for a high school Senior.
- $100 provides a high school student with access to professional tutoring services.
- $250 provides a rising 5th or 6th grade Scholar with an academic 6-week summer program to support their transition into middle school.
- $500 provides a middle school Scholar with safe transportation from school to SMART twice a week for a year.
- $750 provides a high school Scholar with an all-expense paid trip to visit northern and southern California colleges.
- $2,500 provides a Scholar with customized placement support into middle school or high school, including individualized counseling, test prep, application fees, school tours, translation services and more.
- $5,000 provides a Scholar with all program components for a full year including after-school programming, specialized curriculum, individualized academic support, a family education series and more.
- INVALUABLE: Donate your time! Volunteer as a tutor, mentor, or participate in a short-term volunteer opportunity. Visit theSMARTprogram.org/volunteer to learn more.