Since 2011, I have had the privelege of being part of the SMART program as a volunteer afterschool tutor. I can't believe its already been 4 years, and that I've been able to tutor three different students, seeing one of them through the entire middle school experience.
I have seen such a positive impact on my students and all others in the SMART program. I've also come to appreciate the incredible financial effort made to provide this life altering oppurtunity to kids who would otherwise be attending the most underperforming sections of San Francisco's public school system while already facing the day-to-day challenges of living below the poverty line. To put it bluntly, SMART makes every dollar count, and can do so much more with a lot more of it!
To learn more about the program, please visit theSMARTprogram.org. To see more specifics about how the money you donate will be spent, see below information.
Thank you ahead of time for making your contribution to these great kids' lives!
Since 1997, SMART has prepared highly-motivated, low-income students to achieve individual success.
Ninety-four percent of SMART Scholars are the first in their family to attend college, 100% graduate high school, and since 2011, 100% of SMART graduates pursue a college degree (compared to 51% nationally).
Each year, SMART recruits a cohort of fourth-grade students to embark on an eight-year journey that culminates in college matriculation. Nominated by elementary schools and community-based organizations, SMART scholars are expected to graduate our program possessing certain personal qualities, including intellectual curiosity and academic confidence, social and emotional intelligence, civic mindedness, self-advocacy and awareness, empathy, resilience, and grit.
To meet these goals, SMART provides a comprehensive program which includes advocacy with and placement into academically rigorous partner schools, after-school and summer programming, tutoring, mentoring, workshops, and a parent education series.
One-hundred percent of our administrative costs are covered by our Board of Directors. Your gift will directly support our incredible Scholars and their goals of obtaining a college degree.
For every $1 you donate, SMART Scholars receive $6.50 worth of services and support. Thank you so much for your belief in our program and our Scholars!
- $25 provides essential school supplies for a Scholar in need.
- $50 provides a healthy snack for a Scholar in our summer and after-school programs.
- $75 covers a college application fee for a high school Senior.
- $100 provides a high school student with access to professional tutoring services.
- $250 provides a rising 5th or 6th grade Scholar with an academic 6-week summer program to support their transition into middle school.
- $500 provides a middle school Scholar with safe transportation from school to SMART twice a week for a year.
- $750 provides a high school Scholar with an all-expense paid trip to visit northern and southern California colleges.
- $2,500 provides a Scholar with customized placement support into middle school or high school, including individualized counseling, test prep, application fees, school tours, translation services and more.
- $5,000 provides a Scholar with all program components for a full year including after-school programming, specialized curriculum, individualized academic support, a family education series and more.
- INVALUABLE: Donate your time! Volunteer as a tutor, mentor, or participate in a short-term volunteer opportunity. Visit theSMARTprogram.org/volunteer to learn more.