Stage Stream: Marketplace for live theatre videos
Team Member: Jacob Harvey
Event Name: Women Startup Challenge
Jeni Incontro wrote -
Stage Stream is a user-driven marketplace for videos of live theatre. Our vision is to grow the current $2 billion dollar a year live theatre market to increase access for audiences and revenue for artists.
Here's how it works: Producers film their productions, upload videos of their shows, and set their own pricing. Viewers pay per view for 24 hour access to the video. Revenue is shared between Stage Stream and the producer, who also shares the revenue with actors, writers and other stakeholders.
We are practitioners and patrons of theatre. Theatre is magical because it's live, because it's a moment in time and an in-person experience. But, theatre has problems that arise with that model:
- Rising production costs make it harder to produce new exciting art and break even when limited to four walls.
- As audiences age and younger audiences are priced out, developing a new audience gets more challenging as potential audience members consume media online.
- Once a show closes, it often disappears with no way to build a larger following or get it picked up by another theatre.
- Theatre can be expensive. Most people experience theatre first by Broadway and regional tours, which is out of reach for many young professionals
- Theatre is geographically limited. Many people would love to fly to NYC to see a Broadway show, or an exciting new piece of theatre in another city. But, most won't pay for a plane ticket to do so.
Stage Stream solves all of these problems by putting control and distribution in the hands of the artists and producers, and creating access across geographic and financial barriers for audiences.
To top it off, Stage Stream will reinvest 10% of our profits back into arts programs. We believe in the power of theatre, and we are putting our money where our mouth is.
About our Fundraiser:
We have already built the protoype and are currently running our private beta. But, we need your help! The fundraiser will provide much needed support to help:
- Fund the cost of filming and editing for a few key theaters to provide a high-quality video experience
- Develop hardware plug ins for Roku, PlayStation, XBox, and others so viewers can watch theatre on their TV
- Catalyze the legal help we need to partner with the theatrical stakeholders unions to make sure everyone gets their fair share
So far, we have had amazing support. Here are some early wins for Stage Stream:
- Completed the functional prototype and running private beta
- Over 10 pieces of content committed for the early launch
- Incubated by the Wharton Venture Initiation Program
- Winner of a Wharton Innovation Fund award
- Finalist in the Wharton Spring Pitch Competition
Thank you for your help!
Please share, and contact us with any questions or support! email@example.com