BENEFITING: Brigham and Women's Hospital
ORGANIZER: Brigham and Women's Hospital
EVENT: 2017 Boston Marathon
EVENT DATE: Apr 17, 2017
I hope you are well! As I did last year, I will run with the BWH-Stepping Strong team, an amazing initiative that is raising funds to improve trauma care and support research. The initiative has raised over 10 million $ over the last few years and one month ago the Stepping Strong Center for Trauma Innovation was also inaugurate (read/see more about this and spot me at min 2:42 in the link/video below). (Ref.1)
Why is this so important to me and should also be to you? Statistically we all have experienced or might experience a traumatic injury, directly or indirectly (family member, friend, colleague). Trauma is by far the first cause of death for people aged 1-46! Half of people in this age range dies because of a traumatic injury. The impact of trauma in terms of lost life years is equal to those of cancer, heart disease and HIV combined!! (Ref.2) Despite these numbers, in comparison to other medical conditions trauma does not often hit the headlines, is a less popular topic, and consequently is significantly underfunded (only the 69th area of funding in 2017 by NIH). (Ref.3)
For this reason initiatives like Stepping Strong are important to raise awareness and the very needed funds to improve current therapies/clinical practice in trauma care and to sustain trauma research. You can read about the research funded by your donations in the links below. (Ref. 4-6) This is what I also passionately work for every day!! (Ref.7) To show my own increasing commitment this year I will run all the Boston races (Marathon, Half Marathon, 20k, and 5k) and I will do it to keep sharing this important message. Last year you have been a generous donor and key contributor to help me achieve my goal of raising 5,000 $ (we actually raised 5,950 $, 20% above expected!) and I could not be more grateful. This year I am kindly ask you to support me/the Stepping Strong initiative again and possibly step it up!
Donating is easy and will take you only 5 minutes, just follow the instructions on this page!
Please do not hesitate to share this with friends and colleagues and invite them to donate too! I hope I was able to share how important this is to me, and I hope you will find it important too. Thank you so much once again, I feel very fortunate to know people like you.
1. Stepping Strong Center inauguration and video: http://give.brighamandwomens.org/stories/stepping-strong-center-opening/
2. Trauma statistics: http://www.nationaltraumainstitute.org/home/trauma_statistics.html
3. NIH funding: https://report.nih.gov/categorical_spending.aspx
4. Stepping Strong news: http://give.brighamandwomens.org/stories/stepping-strong-events/
5. Stepping Strong funded areas: http://give.brighamandwomens.org/stories/stepping-strong-funded-areas/
6. Stepping Strong report: http://bwhgiving.uberflip.com/i/657673-stepping-strong-stewardship-report-2016
7. Short interview: http://give.brighamandwomens.org/meet-giorgio-giatsidis/
Ps. Since we are in tax season..be aware that your charity donations are deductable!