BENEFITING: Saint Francis House, Inc.
ORGANIZER: Saint Francis House, Inc.
EVENT: 2015 Boston Marathon
EVENT DATE: Apr 20, 2014
Saint Francis House, Inc. wrote -
Homelessness can happen to anyone: An illness, a layoff, or a lapse in judgment turns your whole life upside down. Suddenly you can't afford food and clothing. Or worse yet, you lose your home and the belief that life can improve. Where do you go for help?
In Boston, the answer is St. Francis House.
For 30 years, we have welcomed poor and homeless men and women who fear that their best days are behind them. We provide services, support, and a glimpse of what their lives can become: productive, healthy, fulfilling.
St. Francis House is nonprofit and nonsectarian. Our mission and approach are simple: We believe in the worth of every human being, and we know from experience that when people have the right tools, change can happen. Big change. That’s why we provide our guests with everything they need to reclaim their dignity and rebuild their lives: nutritious meals, clothing, access to medical care, counseling, vocational rehabilitation, and housing. In the past year, St. Francis House has:
- Served more than 300,000 meals
- Provided 9,161 showers
- Distributed 7,955 changes of clothes
- Provided more than 10,000 counseling sessions on mental health issues, substance abuse, housing, employment, legal matters, and other issues
- Partnered with Boston Health Care for the Homeless to provide 8,761 medical appointments
- Trained 99 people in our First Step Program
- Graduated the 138th class from the Moving Ahead Program (MAP), our vocational rehabilitation program, whose alumni now number more than 1,500
- Provided 56 units of permanent housing in our Next Step Housing Program
We know our approach works. We’ve been named a model program by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the U.S. House of Representatives Speaker’s Task Force on Homelessness, and the Social Security Administration. And every day, our guests tell us that we have saved and changed their lives.
Please join us in helping our brothers and sisters leave homelessness behind. Because everyone deserves a place to live and a second chance.