BENEFITING: STORY PIRATES
ORGANIZER: STORY PIRATES
EVENT DATE: Nov 04, 2012
Thanks for visiting my Story Pirates New York City Marathon Fundraising Page!
I just decided to run the NYC marathon on November 4th and commited to raise at least $3,000 for The Story Pirates before that day and I'm asking you to support me in achieving this goal. Why would you give money to whom?
The Story Pirates is a group of world-class teachers and first-rate actors and comedians who go to underfunded elementary schools and get kids excited about their own ideas. The concept is simple but powerful: Story Pirates teach writing workshops at schools - kids write stories - Story Pirates act them out in front of the kids - the kids get excited and write more stories. Can you imagine how excited you would have been in first grade if a bunch of professional actors turned your story into a hilarious play?
Why am I - a colombian International Affairs student at Sciences Po Paris and Columbia University who just moved to New York - doing this?
- I would be a famous (instead of a frustrated) writer if The Story Pirates had come to my school and I don't want more talent to be wasted!
- I think education needs pioneers who run innovative projects and proof that there is a need to replace some of the traditional methods and approaches that are still being used and that are failing in preparing children appropriately for the future.
- I believe that story telling is one of the most powerful and relevant skills of our time: telling stories the right way has the potential to influence and change reality. Therefore kids should learn this in every school but this is not the case, particularly in underfunded schools.
- Story Pirates is a successfull and nationally respected organization which has proven to be highly efficient in reaching its goals so I am sure that the money I raise is going to be used in the best way!
- ...and then of course: unless you're born and based in New York or a hardcore athlet, it is probably a one in a lifetime opportunity to run the NYC marathon.
And why would you fund this project?
Story Pirates is making it possible for children to write stories like this! But there's still thousands of kids waiting for their stories to be heard! The cost of a Story Pirate's school program typically runs between $1,000 and $ 8,000. Join me, Jon Stewart, Conan O'Brien and help us reaching out to more children!
But you are probably somewhere in Colombia, Germany, France, Spain, etc. why would you support a US based organization rather than a local one?
We (you and I) are supporting an idea rather than a particular program in a particular geographic location. There's thousands of ideas being executed and I believe this one deserves our attention, no matter what its current location is. And then, who knows? It may outgrow the national borders; people are learning from this experience and tomorrow there might be pirates at your childrens' or grand childrens' elementary school. Also there's the whole interconnected-world-thing that shouldn't be neglected: Have you ever been inspired by a story? Has a story changed your life? It was probably not the story of someone who went to school in your neighborhood, right?
$ 3,000 seems a lot of money, how am I going to raise that in 50 days?
Well, I believe that I have at least 300 friends ready to donate at least $10 for this project. Some of you may be 100% convinced by my arguments, others may have reasons to trust what I'm doing, other's might just do it as a friendly gesture. Whatever your reason is, I appreciate your support, you probably won't remember those few bucks in a couple of years. I won't forget that you were there when I run those 40k's.