Rosie's Theater Kids INC via Crowdrise
June 21, 2010
BENEFITING: Rosie's Theater Kids INC
The Summer Intensive is the launching pad into our after-school program, ACTE II (A Commitment to Excellence). Teaching artists of our Summer Intensive program strive to increase the knowledge and skills of students in the area of the musical theater. This distinctly American art form has captured nearly every idiom of musical expression in United States’ history: Minstrel songs, Irish ballads, ragtime marches, torch songs, gospel, the blues, jazz, and rock. The Summer Intensive takes place in our 5-story building just west of the Broadway theater district, Maravel Arts Center.
During the Summer Intensive recent 5th grade graduates from our PS Broadway program, most of whom are from low-income communities, will be immersed in an extensive two-week conservatory style training (five hours per day) which will include the following activities:
- Group technique courses in dance (1 hour daily), voice, drama (45 -50 minutes daily), and a rehearsal/performance class;
- Ethnically-diverse professional actors, singers, and dancers from the Broadway community conduct master classes and perform for students, serving as positive role models for young people;
- The Summer Intensive final student performance is attended by parents, community
As a result of students’ training and performances, they gain increased skills in dancing, singing and become acquainted with the lyrics, music, and cultural context of selections from Broadway shows;
- All dancewear, including shoes, is provided to each student at no cost;
- Students receive pre-paid metro-cards;
- Lunch and healthy snacks are provided to the students;
- 33 students will participate; artists/teachers to student ratio is 1 to 7.
Please help support the students in our Summer Intensive program. Any amount is appreciated. Your assistance will help fund all of the above activities and enrich the lives of these children.
Rosie's Broadway Kids